The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 10:07 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ever break your Fly Rod ?

I broke 2 fly rods this spring/summer.
I broke my 8' cortland when I had a snag and whipped it too hard. It broke below the second guide from the tip.

Then I broke my 7' eagle claw featherligh when my hook-less leader caught a window, and I jerked it and it snapped at the ferrules.

I want to replace the eagle claw, as it was a very effective small fly rod.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 AM

Chris Mason is on a distinguished road

I broke a 5wt sage last Fall by pulling the line/leader loop through the last eye, which I have done hundreds of times prior. This tip broke off about 2 inches down. I was the original owner of this rod which is about 15 years old, so I guess I got my monies worth, but I love this rod. I do not have any of the original paperwork or any warrentee info. Is there any chance of getting this fixed?? I am assuming because of its age no one will replace this section of the 2 piece rod, so how would this broken tip be fixed?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

This is not hard to fix if you only lost 2". You can order a replacement tip from Cabela's, Mud Hole Custom Tackle or JS Fly Fishing Rod Building. They all have fly rod Tip Tops and the glue you need. You need to pick a color or style that matches the one you have. You also need to measure the diameter of your new tip. If you are confused by the size of the tips (3.5, 4, 4.5 etc) measure your tip and call who ever you are buying from. The Tip Tops are not expensive. Check your old tip top and see if it has a size on it. You can remove your old tip with some heat. I have seen rods with a thin tip that you could reapply your old tip. If you have a good fly shop close by they may have replacement Tip Tops. They may ever do the repair for you.

After the new Tip Top is installed you might want to try wrapping the butt of the tip top to match the other guides.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:36 PM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

I broke my Thomas & Thomas fly rod last year. It's a 9 ft 5 weight 4 piece rod. It broke midway down on the top most section. It was the start of its second season, less then one year old. I live close enough to drive it down to the T & T shop and had Trevor take a look at it. I was upset I still had to pay the $40.00 to have it fixed but that's part of their lifetime warranty. They took their time fixing it too. It took about three weeks to get it back. I have had no problems this year with it. The fit and finish was as good as new.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvollmer View Post
I broke a 5wt sage last Fall by pulling the line/leader loop through the last eye, which I have done hundreds of times prior. This tip broke off about 2 inches down. I was the original owner of this rod which is about 15 years old, so I guess I got my monies worth, but I love this rod. I do not have any of the original paperwork or any warrentee info. Is there any chance of getting this fixed?? I am assuming because of its age no one will replace this section of the 2 piece rod, so how would this broken tip be fixed?
All of what Frank has told you is great advise. I had a rod that the tip got broken off about 2" like you. I took the tip top and a very tiny drill bit and honed it by hand. This also created a ruff finish for the glue. It slid right on and I used the two stage apoxy. The glue came in on the wrapping also. Easy fix that minus the drying time took about 10 minutes.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:53 PM

Chris Mason is on a distinguished road

Frank, Thanks for the info, but I may be a little confused. (forgive, me for my lack of knowledge of rod building/ repair. My rod broke about 1 - 2" below the tip top (in the graphite section). Is this fixable? If I understand correctly you were referring to the metal top with the eyelet on it? Mine is broken about 2" before this piece? Sorry if I did not state my original question correctly.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Frank, Thanks for the info, but I may be a little confused. (forgive, me for my lack of knowledge of rod building/ repair. My rod broke about 1 - 2" below the tip top (in the graphite section). Is this fixable? If I understand correctly you were referring to the metal top with the eyelet on it? Mine is broken about 2" before this piece? Sorry if I did not state my original question correctly.

Sorry I know you addressed Frank, but I just happen to be here at the time. If you still have the TIP TOP (the eyelet) it can be salvaged, or you can buy a new one. It will be a little closer to the last guide on your rod, but 2" should not make a noticable difference. You are just going to put a new TIP TOP on the rod and the rod will be 2" shorter, that is all.
I am waiting for Frank on this one also.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

gvollmer,

I think I understand where it broke. What my repair will do is make your rod 2" shorter than it was before you broke it. You need to square the end of the rod where it broke and glue on your old Tip Top or a new one if the old one will not fit. Joni is correct that you can ream the old Tip Top with a drill bit that is the correct size. You need to ream it by hand.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:22 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I have broken a couple. I broke 2 of my Sage's and my Winston. Thank god I enjoy using higher end rods that cover dumb****s like me that sometimes arnt paying enough attention.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:08 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sage is big now compared to 15 years ago...never hurts to ask... just give them a call if you know the model number and ask...got any old....? how much for tip section and how much for whole blank then wrap your own..of course depending on cost... as for where to get all materials strip your old section of guides or i use the mud hole in florida and recoil direct both online.

the cheapest way...as frank said put a new tip top on it...two inches off the top and $2 new tip an $1 for super glue just make sure you've got it lined up when you put it on or use epoxy and hold the tip section paralell to floor guides down the put the tip top on with epoxy and line it up and let gravity put the finishing touch to the line up