The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 07:09 AM

Chris Mason is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ever break your Fly Rod ?

Thank Frank & Joni, I now understand what you are talking about. I have a local shop and they should be able to take care of this. Thanks again for your help and patience.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvollmer View Post
I broke a 5wt sage last Fall by pulling the line/leader loop through the last eye, which I have done hundreds of times prior. This tip broke off about 2 inches down. I was the original owner of this rod which is about 15 years old, so I guess I got my monies worth, but I love this rod. I do not have any of the original paperwork or any warrentee info. Is there any chance of getting this fixed?? I am assuming because of its age no one will replace this section of the 2 piece rod, so how would this broken tip be fixed?
Sage is big now compared to 15 years ago...never hurts to ask... just give them a call if you know the model number and ask...got any old....? how much for tip section and how much for whole blank then wrap your own..of course depending on cost... as for where to get all materials strip your old section of guides or i use the mud hole in florida and recoil direct both online.

the cheapest way...as frank said put a new tip top on it...two inches off the top and $2 new tip an $1 for super glue just make sure you've got it lined up when you put it on or use epoxy and hold the tip section paralell to floor guides down the put the tip top on with epoxy and line it up and let gravity put the finishing touch to the line up
Old 06-22-2007, 07:20 AM

Business being business whether its washing machines or fly rods we pay for a waranty. How much is the waranty cost in a $600 to $700 sage or winston?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:28 AM

lindmar is on a distinguished road

I just broke mine less than a week ago,
Just ordered a new rod,

The one I broke was an 8wt hobbs creek white river bass pro rod, now I've ordered a Temple Fork TICR 8wt... lifetime warranty :-)
Old 06-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi lindmar,

I think you will like your TFO TiCr. Give us a report after you try it. I would like to know how you compare it to your Hobbs Creek.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:24 PM

keebranch is on a distinguished road

Two years ago I drove over the tip of my TFO 4wt... Yeah I know ... How did ya do that? I asked myself that same question. Anyway,the folks at TFO took care of it pronto, no questions, no excuses.
Les
Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 PM

brownie is on a distinguished road

Yup, 2 days ago. 5 wgt Orvis Zero gravity. Snapped the butt in half during a popper cast.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:44 PM

It appears in this thread that the rods broken are 7 and under anybody break any 9-12 on casting or fish...??
Old 06-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
It appears in this thread that the rods broken are 7 and under anybody break any 9-12 on casting or fish...??

The heaviest I own is an 8 Wt. and come to think of it, it had a tip break also, but I think that was because someone put it in the tube wrong.
Pulled it out and no tip! Sent it back to Orvis and because it was a 2000, no charge at all. Trident TL by the way.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:05 AM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

This has been the worst year ever for me... All warranties have been very good.. In fact a venture seven reel by g loomis free spun once in a while causing a mess. I told g. loomis that it was purchased at a pawn shop and today, incedentally, they said they would send a new clutch part for me to insert...no charge... I broke the snake guild on my backup tfo 6 wt sunday on what could be my best fishing day ever, taking the stuck rod apart after fishing.... I fixed it my self tonight so i can use it tommorow, poor wrap job but is comming out fine as it dries right now..I Cant wait to send in the tfo as i need it tommorw, its my only backup 6 wt.. ,, The main pole, a z axis 6 wt broke the tip putting it in the case, all I heard was a click .. They said 2days two 2 weeks in sages hands...... My minkota gets double duty backtrolling, and casting with streamers on the missouri river,, and burnt it up, hooking it wrong changeing batteries, they fixed it no charge....With these long days im discharging 3 heavy duty battieries a day, 2-3 days a week... I can cover huge amounts of river side to side this way, and for some reason trout are voulnerable to this with using a caddis dropper after streamer in sunshine, and rio depth charge 300 line...Sometimes they go nuts over the caddis if i jig it just off the bottom... So all the equipment gets strait A s, and the only problem besides my dumbness is light snake guides on the tfo, still my fault.. dave