The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 01:56 AM

ffffg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ever break your Fly Rod ?

"I Cant wait to send in the tfo as i need it tommorw," Hmmm , I sent in the sage z axis, and repaired the tfo..... Funny thing tho, the tfo lefty kreh pro, 6 wt works fine, And altho ill be glad to get my sage back, the tfo is doing a great job... dave..
Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM
wyefly is on a distinguished road
Re: Ever break your Fly Rod ?

hi, i have never broken a fly rod in the nineteen years i have been fly fishing but it dont stop me buying new ones, lol.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:33 AM

devegus is on a distinguished road

Yes, I broke my rod earlier this year. i closed my door on my rod... i was pretty upset at myself. i sent it off to repair it was a redington crosswater.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:40 AM

Jim Abbott is on a distinguished road

What was St. Croixs' response - did they fix it, replace it or do nothing?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

I broke a Cortland travel rod in a boating accident last year. Since it was no longer under warranty, I decided to repair it myself. The break was in the tip section six or eight inches from the ferrule. I used spring music wire of a diameter I could insert three pieces inside the diameter of the graphite in a triangular stack. Epoxy was imbedded between the wires, resulting in a structure similar to reinforced concrete. I made a long beveled joint, then wrapped it with rod winding thread, applied flex-coat, and I can't tell the rod has ever been damaged. There appears to be no discernable change in the flexing of the rod, although I suspect there may be some. However, I've fished it many times since the repair and it's still going strong. If anyone has a broken rod that is not warranted, I'll be glad to send you details of how I did this repair.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Gordo,
You make even southern engineering sound sophisticated. I've trimmed that same kind of wire (i think) off of my guitars dozens of times and never would have thought of the scraps as a way to fix a rod.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.