The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A Thread for the Dry Fly Purist;

This was the first of three threads I am bumping back to life.
My thinking is that we have many members now who were not here in November of 2011 when the three were created, time flies huh.

The replies are full of pictures from members so you may as well read through

In an effort to quell the onset of the winter blues I am going to submit a series of threads focusing on the three major fly types, Dries, Nymph, Winged Wet Flies & Streamers combined because of the shared similarities in tying and fishing these two types.

Dry Fly Purist; as in those persons who would gently toss a dry fly upon the water and carefully mend and drift to a waiting fish rather than anything else. There have been times in my life that no form of fishing could have possibly delivered the joy and satisfaction that i received from the act of fishing the dry fly. Of course the nymph, the winged wet fly and the streamer all have their own time and glory but this thread is meant for the discussion of Dry Fly Fishing. I will put together a nymph & winged wet thread for the subsurface aficionado's this evening so you too have a gathering place all your own.

The dry fly inspires us to gather the finest hackles available, to labor at the vise tying tiny puffs of feather, dubbed furs, and yarns onto and about our hooks. Those hooks ranging from the huge #10 & 12's of the Green Drake and March Brown imitations down to the size 20 and smaller for the Blue Quill and Batis patterns. Each will all receive great attention to detail as we create our dries. I'll be first to admit that this tying & fishing can become a matter of tremendous focus in a fly fishers life. You must not only be able to tie those flies but you have to know when the various hatches will appear on your local waters. Once these two things are in your repertoire you then begin to schedule your life around being at the right place at the right time. Somewhere on the forum I have a thread about keeping journals, these are the key to having the dates and locations pegged year after year.

Bringing it all together, that's what it's about is it not? The flies, the hatches, the fish and of course 'you'. Please feel free to talk dry fly here. Post pictures, tell of the biggest fish you ever took using a dry tied to a gossamer tippet, and lets see what we may be able to learn from one another here.

To set the mood a bit I am going to display some photographs of tackle, materials, and some flies that were the staple of my dry fly life. I may not see many opportunities to fish a May Fly hatch here in Alaska but please believe that the act is dear to my heart.

Two of my favorite dry fly flickers, an old Orvis Far & Fine and a 6' 6" Flea built for me by Ron White of the Orvis Bamboo shop.
Click the image to open in full size.

Everyone who has ever taken an interest in fly fishing hears the name Royal Coachman, here I use the Royal Wulff.

Another familiar name to all, The Adams, this one circa 1978;

Every Dry Fly fisher has a favorite box, I would have to say this is mine. A Wheatley 32 I got hold of in 1980.

And of course the feathers, over the years we collect feathers. As time went on I gathered the best I could find, years my friend years, so don't worry there's time.

So there's your primer, feel free to build a home for the dry fly fishermen and women here. Show the rods & reels, the flies, the capes, and of course the fish they bring.

I hope this will be of interest to all of us,

Ard
iciclecreek, coug and mbchilton like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-01-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:23 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: A Thread for the Dry Fly Purest;

Awesome thread Ard. I will get back to this after the Turkey...
Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Ah..........the number of days when I've seen absolutely no action at all on the top water; not a mayfly, caddis or stone in sight............but still, the first thing that I do is to tie on a dry, go prospecting on what looks a preferred lie or two, and just hope that someone will come to the party.

Pocono
Old 11-24-2011, 07:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ard,
You've pretty much summed up dry fly fishing for me. Yvonne and I would rather catch bluegills on drys, than dredge a nymph for deep trout. Blue-Winged Olives are a particular favorite, and we can usually get something to rise to a small BWO of the temperature is above 50 degrees. We use moderate action 4weight rods, and fine leaders. Casting to a rising fish of any type is much more satisfying than "fishing the water" with a Wooly Bugger. It tests both our casting skills and ability to fool a feeding fish.

Defining a dry fly purist could generate some debate among a large enough crowd. I prefer tying drys parachute style, but I know anglers that insist on upright wings. One of my newest favorites is an X-Caddis. It's a hairwing dry, but it looks enough like a caddis, and really brings up otherwise resting fish.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:33 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Well done Ard!!! Those pic's got me thinking of spring time. Whew it seems so far off! Theres something to be said about the anticipation of watching a dry drift perfectly to a willing riser. Obviously you can't tell but this thread has me grinning ear to ear!!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:25 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Great thread Ard, although drys are not what I fish most of the time they are my favorite, just something about watching a rising fish that gets your blood pumping. I fish many different dry's but that royal wulff you have pictured is one of my favorite.
Ah heck now you went and got my juices flowing for some top water action and I have a full winter to wait.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

So it looks like we can talk Dries here huh I was hoping to see this become sort of like our Photo Chat thread. On that spot members trade pictures, shooting techniques, and more. If you have an outstanding dry fly cape or are wondering where to find one ask or tell. Same with any other dry related stuff.

Glad you like the idea and I'll try to keep the discussion going even if I have to rely on a little history at times to do so.

Ard

Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A Thread for the Dry Fly Purist;

Great pictures! I'm pretty new to dry fly fishing for trout but an old fellow took me to his hotspot this summer on the condition that I "dig the worms" !! I did it but I took only my 7' 6" 4wt fly rod. "well they will take a fly" says he when I pulled in a 12" brookie right away. He continued using his spinner and bait while I had a ball with a little attractor dry fly. Can't wait to get out again!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I recently learned an interesting tid-bit about the flies of Lee Wulff, most his fishing flies were tied streamside by holding the eye of the hook pinched under his thumb nail! Pretty cool stuff, I gleaned that from a video so I couldn't say weather its ture or false but it gives you something to think about.
BTW Is that a Honey Dun cape I saw or am I just wishing?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Hi wannafish,

I think you'll find that if they lived within the range of the Brook Trout many fly anglers may confess the native char to be their first trout caught on a fly. It's a bit of word play when we call them trout because they are classified as a char so......... if not their first perhaps the first wild trout. I grew up in good a good Brookie area and although I had caught many Sunfish & Chub on my crude homemade ties I could not entice the trout in any of the big name streams to give me a break. My first dry fly trout was in fact a Brookie and I still day dream about them and wonder how they are without me to keep track of them

Hey Bill,

I believe it is, I always called them champagne but I think they go by honey as well. I used to crank out the dries with the same intensity that I knock out salmon flies now. When I lived in what I always considered to be the heart of trout country tying salmon flies was a novelty thing for trips that were always too far off. The trout became my salmon and although I spent a great deal of time fishing streamers I loved the dry fly fishing when it was there.