The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Nymph & Wet Fly Aficionado;

Another thread that may make for good content for those who missed it before. The replies are full of flies & fish so read through.

Although I must admit that fishing with nymphs or a trio of winged wets took a back seat to my fishing streamers and dry flies, I will readily say that the use of nymphs and winged wets is a very effective way to catch trout.

We have many members here who have taken the tying of the nymph to levels I have never even dreamed of attaining. Also many of our members fish the nymph as a primary approach to catching trout and have fantastic results. Myself, I don't ever remember fishing with nymphs or winged wets and being skunked although it surly happened. These flies and their use more often led to catching fish than not, I'll put it that way.

The intention of this thread is to get some of our nymph people posting a few patterns along with any stories they may want to share regarding fishing with those flies. I'll offer some photos of some of my old Pennsylvania nymphs and wets here in an effort to prime the pump.

A selection of nymphs & wets on an old clip box;
Click the image to open in full size.

These next few shots are simply close up of that same group.

I was for the large part a drab color type, using standard patterns.

I was always happy with my green Caddis worm in any of the stages.

I am way behind the curve on all of the new patterns and innovations of todays nymph fishermen but even here those that I used in years gone by are catching char. Although dead drifting nymphs and winged wets was and is effective for me the technique always seemed way too close to my memories of drifting red worms or wood crickets. I think that had something to do with the fact that after learning how to run them down a channel catching fish I turned toward streamers and dries as my favorite means of fishing. Something about seeing a fish either gently slurp or quickly slash a #18 Blue quill from the surface has held much more reward for me. Trout taking dries is surly exciting but the most enticing thing has always been fishing for those that I could not spot surface feeding; usually larger fish that whether I could see them or not I knew were lurking between the sunken boulders or hidden otherwise. The streamer thread is next.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-30-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:14 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: For the Nymph & Wet Fly Affacciano;

Another great thread Ard!

I seem to be on the same boat with you on nymph and winged wets, I mainly started out with them as it was not difficult to make the switch from bait to nymphs, this similarity to bait has caused me to grow a bit farther away from nymphs making them my final resort to catching fish.

Usually my day starts with streamers or dries but when all else fails I can usually guarantee catching fish on a PTN or prince
and if I am targeting bows I find a nymph never fails me, especially in the fast currents.

heres a pretty little bow that couldn't resist a PTN as with the one in my display pic
Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: For the Nymph & Wet Fly Aficionado;

Still working on getting pics into the thread...

Some of my flies for the Boulder area.
Big stonefly, biot legs
Pheasant tail, copper john, translucent stone, all with soft hackle.
tungsten blue poison

I use copper johns all summer through fall in varying colors and multiple colors (red, brown, black, olive, gold, in sizes from 12-18.
I have great luck with a green stretch tube wrapped caddis larvae also.
Small #18-24 tungsten bead heads work well in the fall.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Nymph & Wet Fly Aficionado;

Thanks for the classy pictures. Even if you didn't mean them to, they just do have all sorts of class.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:34 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post

Some of my flies for the Boulder area.
Big stonefly, biot legs
Pheasant tail, copper john, translucent stone, all with soft hackle.
tungsten blue poison

I use copper johns all summer through fall in varying colors and multiple colors (red, brown, black, olive, gold, in sizes from 12-18.
I have great luck with a green stretch tube wrapped caddis larvae also.
Small #18-24 tungsten bead heads work well in the fall.
Those look great.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Another killer thread Ard! I keep meaning to get a new battery for the camera but you know how that goes, anyhow I've been messing around with bucktail and peacock herl and created a few photo worthy flies that could easily find a home in this thread. The Hardy Demon has been on fire the past few trips out and I've been tying them from a #8 down to a 14. Another that's getting alot of attention is the trusty Black Nosed Dace, I know its typically tied as a streamer on a longer shanked hook but I read that Art Flick tied the original on a standard shank with a long-ish wing so I've scaled it down to a wet fly sized bite. Its really a toss up between the dries and wets, I love to fish them both. One thing is for sure with Joni's FurlGirl leaders the wet fly swing will hook alot of fish, maybe its the lack of stretch one would have running a standard mono leader or a confidence thing but I'm digging it!
Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

here's a small char taken on a #12 bh hares ear nymph on my summer trip to ak last fall. probably one of 50 fish landed that day

casey

ARFE
Old 11-26-2011, 09:33 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

loving this thread, I don't know where else to show off my flies! I just started tying in June after foot surgery (luckily the creek was overflowing while I was hobbling). I think having some art class background really helps while trying to imitate photos of bugs and larvae from memory.

Thanks Innes! And Ard for getting me straightened out on posting...

Caddis 20-12 with varying abdomens.

large swimming nymph (stillwater?), medium stones, can't forget the annelids for high water or tailwaters.

nymph? streamer? terrestrial? I don't know, but big fish seem to love crayfish...

Big T. rainbow caught on #16 olive copper john in late november (best fish o' the day)

Thanks again guys, looking forward to seeing some other patterns to emulate.
brucerducer likes this.

Last edited by tbblom; 11-26-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: I just can't stop narcissistically adding photos!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:16 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Although not technically a nymph, the beadhead scud is my goto fly for the deeply undercut skinny spring creeks I fish. Unless the caddis are hatching, I am never skunked with a simple size 12 beadhead natural color scud. I apologize for my lack of a camera and pictures.

Particularly with nymphing, I've found that the classic patterns are classics for a reason. I'm convinced that a simple hare's ear or pheasant tail will produce anywhere a brown trout calls home.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:31 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

That bow is stunning! I love how deep the red is and the spots, great catch!