The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 AM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Streamers, How I got Hooked on Swinging;

Everyone I fish with thinks I'm crazy for fishing streamers so much. They catch a lot of fish on nymph rigs, but I catch a lot bigger fish when I throw meat. My addiction has gotten so bad I am in the process of buying a switch rod specifically for streamer fishing for trout.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:14 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Beautifully produced post, Ard!
Gary
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

ok, pretty sure I followed the same procedure. But now I get to show off my streamers...

6/0 rainbow for musky or pike (still trying to find one to cast to...)
#2 and 1/0 'Belly Ache Minnow'
On the bottom, my 'squirrel bugger' #6. simple and super effective trout minnow.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by tbblom; 11-26-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: finally got my pics in, thanks Ard!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Some streamers from the #1 box
top to bottom

a pair of deceivers tied flat wing style
the black one in the middle is a white water witch, appropriately tied with hair from a witch wig
a pair of Tabory snake flies
a craft fur high-tie
and a Gartside softhackle streamer

Hardyreels and fysh like this.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:57 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

loving these threads and having a place to show off my personal best flies.
Looking forward to seeing a lot more from around the country.

conehead #4 (marabou tail, rabbit, dubbing body, hare mask collar)

blonde fish skull minnow #8. (rabbit, dubbing)

belly ache minnow... try this fly, it ain't no lie. Belly Ache Minnow Fly Tying Demo - YouTube

probably my best personal creation. "squirrel bugger #6" or "the Boulder Creek Bandit" caught an elusive 16" brown 1st day trying it out.

One of many browns taken the week I started using the 'Bellyache Minnow'
(this one unfortunately in the gill flap )

Let's see some articulated stuff... (not quite there yet personally)
Also post some links to good video tutorials if you have them.
Hardyreels and fysh like this.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

By request, some articulated streamers! These are Kelly Galoup's Sex Dungeon, and the olive with the light olive tail (which has taken quite a beating) seems particularly successful. White is also successful but I need to tie more!
Here's a brown caught on the olive one:
And here's a saltwater box I started tying for my father for Christmas, any suggestions will be considered and likely tied in triplicate:

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Every fly posted here will catch fish no matter where I used them, from the Spring surf to the late Autumn trout fishing rivers. Beautiful work, and I gotta say the 'Squirrel Bugger' has many fish in its future. Great posts and I can't wait to see what's next!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Ard-

Your threads are only fueling my desire to start tying my own flies and furthering my addiction to fly fishing! Thanks brother!

-Ian
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:51 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Never tied streamers on Alec Jackson spey hooks before, but that's what the man wanted!
Gary[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Posters are fun to make:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Hardyreels, fysh, madjoni and 1 others like this.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 AM

gatortransplant:
Did you sub in marabou for a bushier tail on the sex dungeons? I found Kelly Galloup's youtube instructions and made one(Video: Kelly Galloup’s Sex Dungeon Part 1 & 2 | | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine), looking forward to trying some variations. Super cool spinning and sculpting deer hair... so many possibilities.