The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Streamers, How I got Hooked on Swinging;

I did use marabou for the tails, though I have seen some SBSs use zonker instead.

Between Ard and Gary's flies, I have been convinced indeed to purchase some jungle cock feathers...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

AJ,

There are a ton of fish caught every year on the Muddler Minnow and various Sculpin flies, I'm sure you are aware of this. The addition of the jungle cock nails to the feather wing streamers is simply the act of following the traditional dressings on the old classics and the new that you create. I don't know if a trout, or any other species of fish ever took hold of one of my flies because it had the eyes or not. What it's about is that once you have bought into this whole thing (fly fishing) and I mean all of the lore and history, you just want those flies to be the best you can make.

Every now and then you stop to look at one before you start fishing (as I did in the picture below) and it really doesn't matter if you catch anything or not.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-28-2011, 03:32 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I have to say I agree about just having a look down at the fly before fishing it. Lately I've been making due with guinea fowl "eyes" on the salmon/spey flies I've been occasionally tying. There is just something about tying that style of fly that is very appealing, though I am certainly not doing it right. I have yet to truly dive into the tradition and history of fly fishing yet. Hopefully, my time in the field this summer will give me plenty of time to catch up! Until then, I'll have to live vicariously through your guys' beautiful flies and the stories of their origins and uses!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Damn Ard you got some catchers mits there!!! I'm guessing that reel is about what 3.25" in diameter and the grip should at the smallest 5.5" and if its a full 7" I'd never let you hold a fish I caught, you'd make it look so puny!! I love the pic though classic tackle and classic flies just look so...well classy!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You're right Bill,

The reel is a 3.5" and the grip is 7" My fishing buddy from PA. always said I needed to have a girlfriend come along to hold fish for pictures. I have the size hand that allows you to dribble a basket ball and to stop the dribble by palming the ball with a grip catch. I never thought of the relationship to a fish picture until Steve took a photo of me holding a trout we measured at 24" and when the film was developed the fish looked more like 16 A bunch of the fish I stuck on the Alaskan fish Pictures were nice fish but when the hand is in the shot they don't look so large I guess. I'm mastering the art of just holding the very tip of the tail and keeping my hand hidden by my jacket sleeve

That fly has caught a bunch of fish, and I still have it. The picture was taken 4 seasons ago in the fall when I was out fishing for Grayling.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-28-2011, 08:53 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Damn Ard you got some catchers mits there!!! I'm guessing that reel is about what 3.25" in diameter and the grip should at the smallest 5.5" and if its a full 7" I'd never let you hold a fish I caught, you'd make it look so puny!! I love the pic though classic tackle and classic flies just look so...well classy!

Makes me wonder how he picks his nose. And no I wouldn't have said that if he lived anywhere within the lower 48

Dave
Old 11-28-2011, 09:07 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Hahahahaha!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:46 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Tied up a few of Kelly Galloup's sex Dungeon pattern.
Skipped the tentacles on the olive one and subbed in grizzly 'side flaps' to cover the joint between the two hooks. Also added a marabou tail like 'gatortransplant's version with grizzly sideflaps to provide a vertical tail fin.
The other is just very natural squirrel, deer, and tan keoughs soft hackle with some hidden chenile.
Click the image to open in full size.

More squirrel buggers in various colors. Black has a hint of UV dub for stealthy flash as does the natural version.

Clouser's and Lefty's as inspired by the site.

Leeches, fun and simple to tie. Not a heartbreak to lose like a 'dungeon'!

Hmmmmm..... going to need some more bins and fly boxes.
Hardyreels and fysh like this.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 AM

Tevis, those look great! You're right about losing a zonker or leech vs. losing a dungeon... however, losing an articulated fly that you yourself tied versus one you bought for $6+ is better for sure. Nevertheless, I'd still much rather lose some beadhead zonker I tied in a minute rather than a sex dungeon which took with it a bunch of materials, a set of dumbbell eyes, two hooks, and a good chunk of time!

Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Definitely a 'reserve' fly for big hogs and perfect holes