The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Streamers, How I got Hooked on Swinging;

So which do you experienced streamer fishermen prefer for a stream that averages about 2 feet deep with pools up to 6 feet deep, average width about 15 ft: floating or sinking line?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
So which do you experienced streamer fishermen prefer for a stream that averages about 2 feet deep with pools up to 6 feet deep, average width about 15 ft: floating or sinking line?
floating unless it is really fast. You can add split shot above (12-18") to get deeper if necessary. Fluoro leader sinks faster. You can get heavy sinking leader also if you need to work specific deep spots.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Time to breath some life back into this thread bumped May 23, 2013

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
On little brooks just a floating line with the feather wing; big waters I use the same line but add my sinking leader. You can find the leader by scrolling down to the bottom of this thread; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html Remember, Scroll Down to the bottom for leader specs.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Business Member

South Holston will become famous soon enough

Are those real Jungle Cock Capes? They don't give those away
Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM

willki is on a distinguished road

Thanks for bumping. I'd not seen this thread before, and, it's awesome.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Holston View Post
Are those real Jungle Cock Capes? They don't give those away
The shameful thing is that I believe I may have snagged another since I made that thread I managed to find a fellow in the UK who had some real dandy capes with hardly a split nail in the lot.

My excuse is that I began collecting materials in the late 1960's and although the stuff looks a bit ostentatious, it took over 40 years to collect what I tie with. I always made the mortgage and the light payments

Might as well paste another fly to prime the pump;
Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, I never said I was good with wings.............

The colorful one is a pattern from the late Preston Jennings which I intend to try on the trout here. The rainbow and steelhead trout are not too color conscious and I have caught them on some pretty flashy streamers.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by willki View Post
Thanks for bumping. I'd not seen this thread before, and, it's awesome.
Glad you liked it!
madjoni, stenacron and baseman1 like this.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Business Member

My fishery is a tailrace. On high water, I love to streamer fish. Below are some videos that are simple , tough and catch fish.

Full service fly shop and guide service - Videos

These are some videos of some basic streamer patterns.

Hope it helps someone.

Rod
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by South Holston; 05-24-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Good link Rod,

I do simple now and then but I do love my fancy flies. I've been trying to make pretty flies since I got my tying kit as a boy and just never quit. I never got real good at it but I keep making them. I hope some folks view the videos because they look like fish catchers from here.

Ard

Old 05-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Business Member

Yours are lovely Hardy.. no kidding.
I remember when I was in my twenties. I was a young man with relatively long hair. I lived way back in the mountains of NC and trout fished and grouse hunted all the time. I kind of worked and kept and a fly rod strung up in my car all the time.
I fished so much I was pretty dang good at it on small creeks. All the materials I used I killed or got from chickens after a cock fight. Or if lucky a chinese rooster cape. So you can imagine the beauty of my flies. No one taught me anything. I would just try to come close to what others used that caught trout.
I basically settled on two patterns. A tellico nymph and a thunder head. Or at least my funky versions of them. They flat caught fish. So thinking I had something, I would go to the local hardware stores and sell them.
10 years later I went back to one of those stores and asked them if they had any more flies. The fellow who owned the store said" some ole hippie boy use to tie flies for us. They were ugly but they sure did catch fish." That honestly was the first time I ever considered my flies ugly. Never even thought in those terms.
I haven't changed much. I have refined my tying some. Tailraces will do that to you. But catching fish well and durability have always stayed with me.
I have never swung one in front of a steelhead or salmon. I would really like to do that before I die. If I do, I might even try to tie some as lovely as yours.
Rod
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Thank you so much for your compliments and for giving some back ground on yourself Rod. Since the thread is about streamers I have some pictures of flies I tied during the 1980's. That was they heyday for my tying until around 93 when I went back to the vise again. When I tied through the 80's I made so many that there are still unused flies.

This was the brook trout fly, Originated by a fellow name of Lew Oatman back in the old days. Whether they really look like a baby brookie or not, they sure caught a bunch of big ones. I fished the pattern from the streams at the base of Mt. Katahdin in Maine all the way down to Jack's River in the Cohutta Wilderness in North Georgia and as many points between the two I could manage.

Lew Oatman's Brook Trout Minnow;

When you look at the old flies you can see that I wasn't overrefined back then. I glued every step and tried to make em last rather than shooting for perfection. It was that pattern that inspired 'The Answer' which I posted a few pages back, my brown trout streamer. I still have brook trout minnows in my streamer wallet all torn up from fish that have now died of old age. I kept them there like some sort of talisman I guess.

This is an old Maine pattern whose story is way too long to type out. The thought came from a fellow name of Strickney but he did not tie flies so he had them made to order. He was the chief Game Supervisor of Maine and called the fly............

The Supervisor;

I have more of the old ties that have been photographed with the digital camera and will add some in future posts to keep the thread alive. I'll have to read through to be sure i don't post repeats.
madjoni likes this.