The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 08:41 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mitchell River, NC outing

I got out today, instead of Saturday or Sunday as I had originally planned. Also, instead of going to the Asheville area, I opted to hit the Mitchell River because its about 90 minutes less drive time which means more fishing time.

I got on the water about 745 am and it was COLD, well by southern standards anyway. The grass was crunching under foot, the air crisp and cold. The Mitchell River has high banks so I had to get in the water almost immediately. I caught a couple of Rainbows and learned a couple of lessons in the process.

1. I am glad I decided to throw on the thermal underwear. Stepping into the water was like a shock to the central nervous system. I felt the junk shrivel up and recede to something that resembled a prepubescent teen.

2. Taking photos of your fish by yourself is exponentially harder than it would seem. Nearly dropping my phone in the drink taught me this lesson.

3. Fish can and WILL laugh at you. I had trout rising all around me....LITERALLY all around me. I tried throwing multiple dry patterns (caddis, stimulators, terrestrials), wets and I think I even tied a cinder block on. They were having none of it. There was one particular fish who was performing acrobatics and during one of his routines actually looked at me and laughed.

I had my most success on a pheasant tail/bead head prince combo fishing deep pools 9-10 feet deep. Here's a couple photos.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and mrfzx like this.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Mitchell River, NC outing

Beautiful place, wish I were along I spent the afternoon plowing snow again, soon I'll be able to drive on my favorite rivers
mrfzx, popperfly and rockriver like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-25-2011, 08:54 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Beautiful place, wish I were along I spent the afternoon plowing snow again, soon I'll be able to drive on my favorite rivers

It was a great day on the water. I caught 6 fish in my outing. Though, being the complete and total novice that I am to fly fishing, had I not caught any fish at all it still would have been a great day on the water.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM

austinpynes is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread....anyone have experience with the Mitchel River in NC this time of year? I am planning on taking a break tomorrow and looking for a place to go.

AustinPynes
High Point, NC
Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Its been a while since I was out at the Mitchell. Its a DH stream, most times that I go out there I'm usually the only one on the water. Great little stream...I just wish it wasn't a 2hr drive for me. You're going to want to find the deep pools and use nymph patterns. CJ's, Prince Nymph's, etc. In the riffles consider throwing a Y2K(if you're not opposed to throwing egg patterns). Wooley Buggers are always producers as well. Hope this helps.

Tight Lines

-Ian
Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I've been out there twice this year on nice fall weekends and both times I ran into over a dozen anglers on the DH section. Caught trout both times, though. I was being a snob and only threw dry flies. 14 Parachute Adams picked up a couple browns.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 AM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

Great pictures it looks like a great day on the water.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

What size and color woolly bugger? Cast up strean and free drift or down and across with a swing? On the dry, I've had some luck with a #12 Thunderhead- easy to see.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
What size and color woolly bugger? Cast up strean and free drift or down and across with a swing? On the dry, I've had some luck with a #12 Thunderhead- easy to see.
On that particular day....it was a chartreuse body, black tail wooley bugger, tied on a size 12 streamer hook. It was drifting. Hope this helps.

Tight Lines!

-Ian