The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bizarre coincidence?

Some of you may remember that a couple of years ago, I caught the same 29 1/2" Walleye twice two weeks apart. After I had caught and released the fish both times, I was writing dates, lengths and whatnot on the backs of photos when I noticed markings in the tail of fish in two of the photos. After looking closely at the photos I realized it was the same fish. The first time I caught it was on October 5th, 2009. The second time I caught it was on October 20th, 2009. Given the size of the waters here, and the huge number of fish, I figured it was a lot like the odds of being hit by lightening. Here is the fish the second time I caught it.
Click the image to open in full size.
Notice the spider mark in the tail. It has a glare right in the center of it. This is the comparison of the tail from both times I caught it.
If you look at all the little markings it becomes clear pretty fast it's the same fish.

Now if that's not weird enough for you, it happened again. Again I was writing stuff on the photos from this Fall, when I noticed some stuff on two seperate photos. First, my friend Bill got a 25" Walleye on October 6th, 2011. It has a couple of splits in one pectoral fin and a very distinct scar on it's left side. The fin was what got me looking. I noticed the same splits on a 25" Walleye I caught on October 20th, 2011. I then looked at the scar and it was conclusive, this was the same fish. Here is a photo of when I caught it on Oct. 20th.
The next two photos are of the side of the fish. First when Bill caught it on Oct 6th.
The next one is when I caught it on Oct. 20th.
I have no idea what the odds of this are, or if there is a lesson to be learned from it, but dang! How weird is this? Not only is it the same fish twice, uh twice, but look at the dates. October 5th and 6th, and the second times both on October 20th. I have had some weird stuff happen fishing, but seriously, this has to take the cake on the weird stuff front.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:05 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bizarre coincidence?

That's pretty cool Dan, not nearly as exciting as your double but once I found the broken bottom half of an arrowhead, crossed the dry creek bed, reached down and found the other half matching together perfectly.

Dave
Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's amazing! Did you find out what kind of arrowhead? By the way, one of my hobbies is flint knapping. I reproduce them. Here is one of my favorites I ever made.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 AM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

Thats cool Dan! I caught the same trout (which had some unique markings) twice at a local lake. I was describing it to a friend a while later and he said he thought he caught the same fish. He then told me the spot he caught it at which was exactly where I had caught it the two previous times.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Banned

Next Fall I'm going to give them the once over for odd marks and mugshot them. I wonder how many times this happened where I didn't notice it for lack of odd marks? The dates thing was weird to. If Bill had got the second fish on the 5th also I think it may have made my head explode.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:54 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Wow, that's amazing! Did you find out what kind of arrowhead? By the way, one of my hobbies is flint knapping. I reproduce them. Here is one of my favorites I ever made.
It is a rather crude piece from the archaic period, probably made by a kid just learning. I find a lot of crude stuff around the big camps that were used for hundreds of years.

Dave
Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Diver Dan starring in "CSI-Baudette"! milt.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

On a local creek I caught a nice bow on a dry, but the nymph below got snagged in his back. I set the net down after cutting the line to grab my forceps to remove the snagged hook; when I turned back the fish had bounced away with my copper john still lodged in his fin

A week later I returned to the same hole, cast the same setup, and hauled in an identical looking fish with a small healing scar in his dorsal fin.
I was very happy to see that the hook had fallen out, and that the pretty bow was healing up and not too worse for wear. Poor dumb fish fell for the same san juan twice though... Pretty sure I've caught another rainbow 3 times at another hole (they just can't say no to a good san juan).

It was 'pocket fishing' so definitely not the same as finding the same fish in a lake. It is really cool getting to know the resident fish though. Some I have seen or hooked several times before actually catching in town. A nice hole where you get shut down often and rarely see smaller fish? probably a grand daddy down there...
Old 11-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarre coincidence indeed didn't know you spoke french so well Dan
Have a look here:
Old 11-26-2011, 03:58 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Dan-

Thats pretty awesome! Happening once is pretty amazing, twice is down right unbelievable!

-Ian