The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Chris Mason is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Northern Pike Fishing

Thanks Frank! I will let you know how everything went once I get back.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 AM

Well in case anyone would like an update on my trip to the Upper Penn. of Michigan. It was excellent! The weather was perfect, not a drop of rain and the fishing was awsome. I ended up catching 37 pike and several small mouth bass. Myself and 3 other guys caught a total of 97 pike during the week, which more than doubled what was caught last year. As far a fly fishing, I was only able to catch 7 pike and 4 bass on the fly rod. The biggest with the fly rod was 26". It worked great for the first 2 days and then the wind picked up, which made it very hard to cast the large flys out in the middle of the bay with wind gusts every 15 seconds, so unfortunately I decided to stop fighting it and fished with my spinning gear the rest of the week. The biggest pike caught that week was 35". I will now go back to my local Western PA streams for trout until my next adventure in the Fall when I will be going to Oregon to fish the Deschuttes River for either trout of stealhead!!!! If anyone is interested in the Michigan location it was about 45 minutes north of the Mackinac Bridge in a small town call Cedarville. If anyone needs more info, let me know.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi gvollmer,

Thanks for the report. It sounds like a great trip. What flies worked for you?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 PM

Red & White "Bunny Bugs" They look like the picture you posted of the Barry flies, but with Deer Spun Heads that end up at the hook eye. Almost every pike caught scuffed the fly up pretty good, so I used several. 6" Red Rabbit fur strip and several strands of silver flash for the tail, White rabbit cross cut strips for the body and red deer spun head, no eyes were included. These ended up looking like the red and white traditional daredevil spoon that has been used to catch pike for many years. I tied these after searching the web for visual examples. I had others that I wanted to try, but the wind made it to much work. It's funny but while I was using my spinning rod we were the most productive on a white bass spinner bait with gold trailing spoons. The pike seem to really be attracted to WHITE.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi gvollme,

The red/white Daredevil was why I tried red/white flies in Alaska. I am glad it worked for you. I like it when a plan comes together.

The Deschuttes River is a great river to fish. Will you be fishing with a guide? This is one American river that Spey casting works. I never liked or understood the restriction on floating the river and fishing. If it was catch and release fishing from a boat, it should not impact the fish. The Rainbows in the Deschuttes have beautiful coloring.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 PM

I will be using a guide, in fact an spoke to one today that came highly recommended. I looks like I will be fishing September 29th and 30th and this is prime Steelhead season, so that is what I will be targeting, which will be a first. I am getting exciting just talking about it. I have never Spey casted before, but the guide says that he doesn't see any problem teaching me???? Is this possible to learn quickly or should I prep?
Yes, you are correct that you are not allowed to fish from a boat. I agree, it makes no sense since it is all catch & release, O' well, this is a rule I can follow in order to fish the Deschutes.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

gvollmer,

You will be there at the best time for Steelhead. You are smart to use a guide. The lower 8 to 10 miles presents the best opportunity for Steelhead. The last 4 miles has public access. There is a bike trail on the side of the river with the state park. If you have time and want to try it on your own you can hike up the bike trail and get to the river. Another option is the river along the Warm Springs Indian Reservation for Rainbows.

Keep us posted on your trip. If you have access to a Spey rod I would practice as much as I could. You can't learn it on your own with out an instructor or a video.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Only one week to go before my trip to Maupin Oregon for Steelhead fly fishing!!! Can't wait! I am having a hard time to figure out how to dress out there? Any suggestions on what to wear under waders as far as pants (Fleece, wick material docker type pants, jeans, etc...)?? Should layers be worn??? I hear it could be cold in the mornings and warm in the afternoon.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Hi gvollmer,

You will have a great trip. It can get real cool at night and in the morning. You can also get warm in the afternoon. One thing you will really need is a good rain coat. You just never know what the weather will be in that area. Maupin is a neat little spot. You can't fish from the boat so that means some wading. I would wear some light weight fleece pants under the waders. You can always pull them off if you get too warm. Here is the projected weather for Maupin. Your guide should be the best source for what to wear. Have a great trip and post some pictures.

Frank

WednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayClick the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.High: 56 °F
Low: 39 °F
More High: 62 °F
Low: 43 °F
More High: 67 °F
Low: 48 °F
More High: 65 °F
Low: 44 °F
More High: 60 °F
Low: 47 °F
More