The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 06:54 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Advice for Beginners

Reading over the thread "Does Anyone Fly Cast Anymore" got me to thinking....

If someone were to come up to you and say "I'm just getting into fly fishing, I can roll cast and my basic cast is coming along, but I don't know which fishing technique to start learning first". What would you recommend to them?

-Ian
Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice for Beginners

I'm only at the end of my third year, so there's my disclaimer.

Learning to stalk fish and approach the water quietly was more important than casting where I usually fish. After that learning to not cast into snags
Next would be learning what kind of places the fish like to hang out, ie in the riffles or in slow water depending on time of year.
After that matching a hatch? Seems like as a beginner throwing an elk caddis with a prince nymph will suffice all day long to catch some fish.
Tippet selection: 7x is a waste of time, money, or flies when you start out.
5x will generally let you catch a lot of fish...
I wish I had someone to inform me about the various casting methods earlier... could have saved me some effort and time. Mending and hauling especially.

Basically a dry/dropper setup on a floating line with a tapered leader should keep any noob happy for a few years (worked for me!). I wish I had made a better effort with streamers my first few years, no doubt would have nabbed some larger fish sooner.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm brand new as well, but I think it really depends on where you're fishing and your beliefs about what constitutes fly fishing. For some, learning where to set your indicator and how much weight to use would be very important. For saltwater, nailing down a good double-haul would presumably be important. So I think it really depends on where you're fishing and your intended quarry. Once we get to that point, well, I'm useless, haha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm brand new as well, but I think it really depends on where you're fishing and your beliefs about what constitutes fly fishing. For some, learning where to set your indicator and how much weight to use would be very important. For saltwater, nailing down a good double-haul would presumably be important. So I think it really depends on where you're fishing and your intended quarry. Once we get to that point, well, I'm useless, haha.
For the sake of making this a bit simpler, lets keep the topic to trout fishing.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

one word of advice that was drilled into my brain by fellow fisherman on the waters I fish at is
always, always wear you glasses even if its clear safety glasses or polarized ones, I my self as a novice have had flies bounce off my glasses and or near them, but my biggest influence is from a local guy I was talking to who is blind in one eye because of a big streamer that decided to catch his eye one day, he then had to wade the 3 km to his truck and find the nearest phone.

here's another great influence
Old 11-27-2011, 09:41 PM

Even though I always wear polarized sunglasses when fishing, even if it cloudy. That video cemented wearing some sort of eye protection ALWAYS!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked in the business, I was able to work with some well known regional guides who are great instructors. When it came to the next step from basic casting, there was one consistent piece of technique that was consistent. That was line control. If one knows how to control the line in the drift, one can drift dry flies, allow a streamer to swing at its appropriate depth, or control indicator rigs efficiently.

If one gets the concept of line control, transitioning from one fly discipline to the next is rather easy. My girlfriend learned indicator fishing first because that was the discipline that was working best at the time on the local river. She was taught to cast the line upstream, throw the upstream mend, keep the rod tip high, follow the fly with the rod tip, and repeat. She went from that to dry fly to wet fly/streamer swing rather easily. She was instructed to alter the nymph presentation somewhat, but the concepts were rather the same.

Dennis
Old 11-28-2011, 02:57 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Knots. Learn and master basic fly fishing knots so you can fish and change flies efficiently.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
When I worked in the business, I was able to work with some well known regional guides who are great instructors. When it came to the next step from basic casting, there was one consistent piece of technique that was consistent. That was line control. If one knows how to control the line in the drift, one can drift dry flies, allow a streamer to swing at its appropriate depth, or control indicator rigs efficiently.

If one gets the concept of line control, transitioning from one fly discipline to the next is rather easy.

Dennis
I'm with Dennis 125%. But I'll be more specific and say learn mending.

The main difference between spin fishing and fly fishing is the line. It gets the fly out, but after that, it catches the water and it makes the fly do what we don't want it to do which is drag or it can make the fly do what we want which is animation

So I would say that after casting, the main skill is knowing when and how to mend, including in-the-air and on-the-water mending. Fly fishers need to knowing the difference between mending for wet flies and streamers vs for dry flies and strike indicators. They need to know how to mend to keep the fly drag free, vs introducing a mend to get a fly to drag in a specific fashion so it imitates prey trying to escape or emerge.

So I would say after a straight line cast, in-the-air mends and one the water water mends - when and how to do them are what I thing most fly fishers ignore. Reading the water, how to rig a strike indicator, how to double haul, etc, are shown in videos and books. But mending is a skill that is not often shown on videos because there are so many variations and it is difficult to illustrate other than a generic upstream on-the-water mend or an in-the-air reach mend. Many fly fishers don't learn much more than that.

So I would say before you cast, ask yourself what do I want the fly to do and what are the mends that I can do to make the fly do that. Mending is a skill that can make the difference between fishing a lie just like very other fly fisher or presenting the fly like others before you did not.

For example, if you are fishing a wooly bugger and the river makes a turn with an undercut bank against the outside of the turn; would you just cast and let the fly swing just like everyone else? Or would you ask yourself where do I stand, where do I cast, and what mend do I do make to get the fly to sink against and a bit under the bank, and then how do I mend to get it to swim away like it is escaping?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
Reading over the thread "Does Anyone Fly Cast Anymore" got me to thinking....

If someone were to come up to you and say "I'm just getting into fly fishing, I can roll cast and my basic cast is coming along, but I don't know which fishing technique to start learning first". What would you recommend to them?

-Ian
I would say "get the fly in the water and catch a few". Your techinque will come along. This site has tons of information on it but sometimes newcomers get it all thrown at them at once, it's overwhelming. Someone posted a video last week with an awesome quote in it. The best advanced technique is a basic technique executed perfectly. Keep working on your basic cast and catch a few fish!