The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Virtue of Patience...or..MONSTER TROUT

Frank: Congrats on catching such a fine trophy! Well done indeed! I sure hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Larry

Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 PM

cpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to all

Great story and fish! That is a lunker anywhere.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wow!! nice catch frank
what a great report as well.
nice work buddy

p.s.- slick looking reel

casey

ARFE
Old 11-29-2011, 12:30 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Frank, you are right, panic isn't good when the fatty attacks.
Nice recovery/fish.
Keep testing that reel...

Jim
Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Well done FrankYou have to know we call big trout turkeys hereso you will eat turkey anyway
By the way,has Yvonne nearly finished her PT?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

What a great fish, at 22" long that must be 8" thick! wow. I also really appreciate the story. I am a patient man, but I also do not like to fish the same hole with the same fly for an hour without results. I will move and/or switch patterns. Thanks for the reminder that persistence, and patience, do pay off...eventually.

Side question: When I first looked at the picture I thought the fish looked like a spawning hen, but thought - it's fall - that's just a fat fish. Why would a rainbow trout have roe in her this time of the year? I have never heard of rainbows spawning in the autumn...what is going on here? What am I missing?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:26 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Dean,
They stocked 5-6 breeders in with the usual 10-12" trout. It is a hen, and it did have roe:
Click the image to open in full size.

We ate the trout tonight, and it stuffed 3 people! We lived at the Jersey shore for 6 years (1994-2000), and once we had salmon off the back of the fishing boat, I haven't been able to eat fish that is as fresh as possible. It's just not the same. When cooking fresh meats and fish, I go very simple. This was just some margarine, and lots of lemon juice backed for 35 minutes at 400 degrees. Perfect! There was a bit of head scratching when I laid the trout next to my largest baking pan.. Whacking off the head and tail made it just fit
French Trout:
Click the image to open in full size.

JP,
Yvonne is going to PT twice a week, and is scheduled to be finished in a few weeks. She has the slightest limp right now, and I only notice it because I know she broke her ankle. What a big difference 4 months makes....
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I believed you Frank. My question goes unanswered, how does a rainbow trout spawn in the fall? Have biologists and hatchery managers altered the species reproduction cycles? I reckon it's the only answer, but I'd love to hear about it from anyone that knows.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dean,
I read your post too quickly. It seems that the PA hatchery folks have found a way to get rainbows to spawn beginning in August: PFBC Question and Answer - Spawning Trout, Male vs. Female
The "process of selection" still leaves some questions about what's going on...
Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Nice fish Frank and great story. My wife says I am impatient, until I go fishing, then she wonders if someone didn't trade in her husband. she often asks how a person as impatient as me can spend hours (especially in the winter) repetitively fishing a stretch of river.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.