The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default new flies

ok so i went to the local fly shop and bought a bunch of new synthetics to make alot of new clousers and i forgot the eyes.... so long sotry short i need new fly patterns to tie with dna fiber, supreme hair and alot of bucktail. so any ideas? and please no lefty deceivers
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: new flies

Well, I suggest Lefty's Deceivers Otherwise, you could tie some of the bigger fluffy minnow types. In all honesty, the main non-weighted minnow pattern I know is the Deceiver, while the Seaducer uses palmered hackle. Maybe try a variation of the seaducer using the synthetics? You could also check out some shrimp patterns... the latest issue of Fly Tyer was loaded with them!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-28-2011, 09:49 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

If you have softex of flexement try some of the Skok's (sp?) flies like the Mushmouth. This can explain it better than I can...
Old 11-29-2011, 08:02 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i just hate working with hackle i suck at makign the tails on deceivers also they never stay upright
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Ok, this HAS eyes but they are bead chain.... Do a search for a Dan Blanton's Whistler. Here, I'll do it for you....

Dan Blanton's SPS Whistler

I have caught Jacks, Snook, Ladyfish and baby Tarpon, on this fly in the salt and in cold water I have taken Steelhead, Coho and a whole "S-Load" of King Salmon. For what it's worth a color scheme in purples was a great color for the Salmon/Steelhead and whites and chartreuse for the salt.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i suck at makign the tails on deceivers also they never stay upright
You have to match up all the tail feathers together (6?), both sides, and tie them down all at once.
Directly on top of the hook with a pinch wrap. I wet them all to hold them together.

I tie most of my deceivers flat wing style. Partly because I'm cheap and it uses less material but mostly because I like the action better.
Here's the basic instructions for 3 feather flat wings which can be incorporated into a deceiver style fly
Three-Feather Flatwings

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

I know I mentioned this in another of your threads, but you could try a hollow fleye
This one's made from Halloween wig hair

Hollow Fleye

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM

i do love the bucktail hollow fly ill be sure to try it with supreme hair
Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Rip, thanks for the Flatwing suggestion, I'm going to try this out as well! As far as deceivers, Robert, I just started tying them too and they are certainly frustrating. However, as they say, practice... well... may lead to perfect if practiced perfectly. I'd just say tie a bunch til you get em right, that's been my approach. Can't say I've reached the endgame yet haha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-30-2011, 07:50 PM

i recently tied a sexy baby bass deceiver. olive hackle with black bucktail on the sides white on bottom olive on top such a nice fly