The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Another Small Stream Surprise!

I hit the same stream today that I caught the 20" trout in yesterday. Knowing that it does hold some bigger fish my hopes were elevated but I would have been perfectly happy catching the average 6-10" fish this stream usually produces. I hiked about a mile and a half upstream to a section I have not fished before.

Throughout the day I caught around 20 browns up to 14" and was having a great time. It was getting late but I wanted to fish a couple more holes before calling it a day when this fish hit. I was using a medium action 7'-6" 4 weight rod with the same Slumpbuster pattern I used yesterday. Not quite as big as the 20" fish but still very unusual for this stream. I have spent many days fishing this stream and never caught anything close to this size. I can hardly believe I caught two fish on this stream, in this range on consecutive days.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by pab1; 11-29-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Another Small Stream Surprise!

great fish for sure! looks like he's had a rough life too!
thanks for sharing
Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

nice catch pab, on both days.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That's just great, man! What a surprise, fishing a stream that you thought you knew and all of a sudden you unlock a secret. Now I am really curious, but won't ask...is it in your area, though?

Did you post a picture of the 20" from the day before?

-- Nevermind, I found the beast from the day before...now I am really curious!! Time to scour my maps...
Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Now I am really curious, but won't ask...is it in your area, though?
Yep, its not far from home!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Are they spawning now? That will bring the big trout up into skinny water.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Are they spawning now? That will bring the big trout up into skinny water.
Rainbows should spawn in the spring/early summer.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

I found this dead brown on the stream a couple days ago. The stream was iced up last week which I believe caused the marks on it. I put my boot next to it for scale. Its about 18".

Old 11-30-2011, 04:01 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1 View Post
Yep, its not far from home!
I read your previous thread...the part about the trib of the stream that leaves the lake...those were real good clues!!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looks like the brown was suffering from a rather lethal case of frostbite... Otherwise, looks like you're currently living the life! Keep the photos coming, i haven't got a chance to fish in a good few days and its killing me!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...