The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 03:00 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Frightening video!

Anyone care to comment?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Frightening video!

Nice brown trout! Looks like the guide & angler each did their part well.

Perhaps I'm missing something else? Looks to me like many of the "Look what big fish we have!" video's typically posted by guides or lodges to get potential customers interested.

Not my thing, but to each his own!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I know Linda quite well. I did guide for her once at Falcon's Ledge, but she is also a fabulous fly tier and is at the I.F. Expo every year.
Occasionally a BIG brown is caught and what a rush. I know Bryan as well and a top notch guide.

I am terrible at determining where pictures come from. This is up by Falcon's Ledge though...Altamont. I would guess one of three places. Duchesne, Rock Creek, or Yellowstone. Been awhile since I have had the pleasure of fishing those rivers.
These are all public spots except the Lodge does have some rights to the Indian portion of Rock Creek. Other rivers they guide are Current Creek and Strawberry, I guess could be one of those two as well.
I know, my first cast at Rock Creek bought this guy

Click the image to open in full size.

Not saying it is anywhere as big, just saying they are in there.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Joni:
You might mention to Linda that she not hold the rod with two hands- especially that far up. It is amazing that it didn't break off. Look closely at the video and you will see that she is putting tremendous stress on the tip toward the end of the fight.
Beautiful brown though and on one of her own flies! That makes it special.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you mean. I see so many people do that and keep waiting for that snap.
Good thing the Brown didn't put up more a fight I guess.
Get her down towards the city more and she could get some nice Brown with some major girth, but if that is Rock Creek, that is BIG for that area.
She goes to Falcons Ledge every year.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like Linda is using a Sage Z-Axis, and if that's the case, it'll take lots of punishment,

Brian said that fish is on the decline because its head is larger than the body. I've seen that on smaller trout as well. I carry trout chow in my vest, and stuff a meal down the skinny ones when I can. Seriously, I caught a trout last year that looked like it could really use a few extra meals, and I made it burn extra calories. All I had was a pack of peanuts, but wanted to dig up some earthworms for the little guy....

Joni, That's a healthy looking trout!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

frightening??? gawd, I hope you never watch me fish!

Also, when did my mom learn to fly fish!?

I was fishing at a famous tailwater, and losing lots of large fish when a guy there took it upon himself to ask me if I wanted some pointers...
he said to use more side pressure, and to keep the fish turning as a means to keep pressure on the line instead of just hoisting the head up. It has meant landing more big fish and not shaking my head asking "why do they always bounce off at the end?"
He basically said that turning the fish repeatedly disorients them, ends the fight faster, makes them less full of lactic acid, helps them recover faster, and leads to less fish mortality.
Is this what you meant? Should they have kept the fish in the water more?
Was she just lucky to have a person netting? Maybe she was using 1x and feeling balsy?! Still trying to learn all the nuances so that I don't offend anyone out there (Heaven forbid someone gets me on video!!!)

Nice fish!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Joni, nice one drift fish, that's what I'm talking about....

tbblom, I believe your unsolicited councilor, was correct.
In my experience, fish may have a trick list (especially browns).
If you foil them just as they decide on the new trick, head them in another direction, etc.
It seems to break their spirit, and they will hopefully will come to hand more quickly.
As opposed to just following them around hoping they don't get off, before they are totally spent. It's easier on them, and I don't have to hold my breath for five minutes....
I also think a lower angle pull, doesn't come out as easily, as the straight up pull. It has taken many years for me to exterminate the dry fly lift.
Another reason to not lift them, is you tend to pull them up into faster surface water which just hurts your chances.....
When a fish is gasping, put them in the water....It's like me chasing you down the street, and then holding your head underwater, so you can catch your breath...
As far as getting video of fishing. Since fishermen are well known liars, a pic definitely helps with those you need to convince.
Would you hire a guide that didn't have a big fish pic?
I am getting a little irked about everybody needing to have a youtube video of their conquest though.
The cool thing about the waterproof video/still cameras, is that you can record the moment with them still in the water. Much kinder than the classic, overgrip and grin...

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-01-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM

bigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the roughbigtel is a jewel in the rough

thats a cracking brownie

terry
Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
It looks like Linda is using a Sage Z-Axis, and if that's the case, it'll take lots of punishment,

Brian said that fish is on the decline because its head is larger than the body. I've seen that on smaller trout as well. I carry trout chow in my vest, and stuff a meal down the skinny ones when I can. Seriously, I caught a trout last year that looked like it could really use a few extra meals, and I made it burn extra calories. All I had was a pack of peanuts, but wanted to dig up some earthworms for the little guy....

Joni, That's a healthy looking trout!
She is a Sage girl...LOL The brown looks like a normal RIVER brown to me. I mean skinny wise, it is a good size Trout. Not like the ones out of the Snake, But.....LOL