The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Yet another braided loop discussion

Several years ago, I tried the Cortland braided loops that come in a 4 pack. I was not impressed at all. I had one break on a nice carp. I never thought I would look at them again.

However, I was curious about the Rio braided loops. I decided to do a test and give them a chance because Rio does make good products. No, I'm not lazy and I know all of my knots lol. I like the option of changing leaders quick in the field and not ruining my fly line by cutting my nail knots off. (There's ALWAYS a bad abrasion near the knot on my rig.)

Anyway, I purchased a pack and installed them as the instructions said. I put them on an old beat up DT6F line I rarely use. I tied on a 3 foot leader of Cajun Red 40lb line I had left over from going after big old shovelheads. (Flathead Catfish) I found a 30lb dumbbell and attached the line to it. I dead lifted the dumbbell repeatedly and no slippage or breakage. I even dropped it and stopped it mid-drop with the same results.

I must say that I am very impressed and these are definitely going on my smaller outfits. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with these on my 7wt when chasing good sized 10-15 pound carp and cats either. However, a friend of mine makes me some double catch braided loops and I use those mainly. I've used them for some large carp and salmon and never had a failure yet.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Yet another braided loop discussion

I have had good results with the braided loops provided they have been well installed to the line. If you want to continue with a nail knot you might consider a piece (about 16 - 18") of 30 pound Amnesia nail knotted to the line with a perfection loop on the end for attaching leaders. I've landed some big fish with both type connections.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2011, 02:11 PM

I think I really like those Rio braided loops that come in the pack now. Had they been the Cortland ones, I may have had to go to the hospital due to a broken foot.

In all seriousness, I was leaning over the stairs, so if they failed the dumbell would have hit the concrete floor.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have had good results with the braided loops provided they have been well installed to the line. If you want to continue with a nail knot you might consider a piece (about 16 - 18") of 30 pound Amnesia nail knotted to the line with a perfection loop on the end for attaching leaders. I've landed some big fish with both type connections.

Ard
I do the same thing (above) when I'm using 'sink tips' on my 2-handers (it works with Poly Leaders just not as well due to the very thin profile). The short run of heavy leader won't make the tip hinge when you cast, but it does allow the sink tip to do just that ..... sink. The floating part of a Skagit/Scandi head will keep a significant portion of a sink tip close to the surface ..... cause ... what the heck, they're big, and fat, and .... float.

That short bit of leader will hugely increase the efficiency of how a sink tip works in your favor.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I put a Rio braided loop on my spey line. I had no trouble with it till I went to the park. My Canadian friend was warming up for me to film him casting and I was bored. I got out the 15' 10/11 wt spey rod. measured 140' of line and started overhead casting it. It was really fun by the way. I was doing it hard enough to hit the reel hard at the 140' mark. Then something went wrong. It busted open the end of the loop. My 15' leader and my EP fiber fly had apparently taken off at the end of my backcast and went into who knows where downtown. It was not to be found in the park anyway. I have taken to making my own since this happened. I realize they are probably fine for almost any normal thing you can put them through, and what I was doing imparted a lot more force than what's normal.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:14 PM

I agree Diver Dan. They seem to be pretty strong and would more than likely handle some pretty large fish without a problem. I've done a little spey work in the past and would agree that you can get some massive force with spey casting. Especially with overhead casting and 100+ feet of line. A friend of mine had a nail knot tear the coating of a line off when overhead casting. Pure physics at work.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:25 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
I do the same thing (above) when I'm using 'sink tips' on my 2-handers (it works with Poly Leaders just not as well due to the very thin profile). The short run of heavy leader won't make the tip hinge when you cast, but it does allow the sink tip to do just that ..... sink. The floating part of a Skagit/Scandi head will keep a significant portion of a sink tip close to the surface ..... cause ... what the heck, they're big, and fat, and .... float.

That short bit of leader will hugely increase the efficiency of how a sink tip works in your favor.
+2 on the nail knotted amnesia. I just don't trust the slip on braided things with the heat shrink tube. I'm sure they work, but they do eventually give out. I know a nail knot works. Also, the new lines come with a welded loop, that is what I currently use.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammer View Post
A friend of mine had a nail knot tear the coating of a line off when overhead casting. Pure physics at work.
Absolutely. I hope nobody thought I was casting bad aspertions on RIO loops. I have only started making my own for spey rods just because of the physics at work.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:53 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Maybe think of it like this. As a safety would be on a firearm, it's a device that eventually will fail. Be it mono or braided loops, I've had both fail at one time or another. It's a matter of personal choice IMO
Old 12-07-2011, 01:02 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I make my own with 60lb Jerry Brown hollow braid. I allows me to make the loops larger and make the splice longer for peace of mind. Splicing hollow braid works like a Chinese finger trap. Under tension it woun't slip, what worries me is that during a cast there are times that the splice will be slack or even compressed and it could pull out. I fix this with some CA glue along the splice.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I put a Rio braided loop on my spey line. I had no trouble with it till I went to the park. My Canadian friend was warming up for me to film him casting and I was bored. I got out the 15' 10/11 wt spey rod. measured 140' of line and started overhead casting it. It was really fun by the way. I was doing it hard enough to hit the reel hard at the 140' mark. Then something went wrong. It busted open the end of the loop. My 15' leader and my EP fiber fly had apparently taken off at the end of my backcast and went into who knows where downtown. It was not to be found in the park anyway. I have taken to making my own since this happened. I realize they are probably fine for almost any normal thing you can put them through, and what I was doing imparted a lot more force than what's normal.
Click the image to open in full size.
Dan,

Did that break or pull out?