The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default going fishing this week. are midges my best bet?

I'm wanting to go and do a little fishin this week and it's bend cold here lately. hugs in the 30s. the trout parks around here are catch and release this time of year so I'll get to fish more buy I'm a little unsure on what flies to use. I would think midges with some florocarbon are gonna be my best bet. what do you all use when it turns cold?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going fishing this week. are midges my best bet?

Hi Luke,
I've been using a #10 white Wooly Bugger exclusively for stocked trout, and doing well. The water is murky from all of the rain, and that's the reason I'm using white (with lots of gold flashabou on the tail). Some people like to go dark with stained water, but white is working well for me.

Are you fishing a lake or stream? Is the water clear, stained, chocolate river? What are the other fly anglers using, and are they succesful? Try buggers and midges both. I've tied a Green Weenie off the back of a wooly bugger with success before, and a GRHE can be substituted for the Green Weenie, etc. With all the rain we've been getting, it's become important to add enough weight to the flies to get them down in lakes, and currents in streams. I've doubled the weight I tie my buggers with, and can't snag the bottom two feet from the bank (normally 6" deep, but 18"+ right now). I've also had more success in shallow water/close to the bank. The water is more shallow, and hence the fish can see what you're offering better.

All of the above is assuming you're getting lots of rain. Well, the bugger idea will work regardless....
Old 12-07-2011, 01:20 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I've been managing a few little fish on midge larvae, midge emergers, PT's, barr emergers, etc. mostly in the 20-24 sizes. And catching the occasional larger fish on wooly bugger equivalents (gray/black/or tan).
In between snow storms, when it gets above freezing the river experiences a small 'runoff' effect. Lots of debris and stuff in the water. #20-24 red midge larvae seem to work well under an indicator or indicator fly (have not had anything on the upper fly for a while, but some fish prefer a bug over head to an indicator.
It is finally above freezing today, so I am about to head out and try to catch a few over a long lunch break
Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Be open to try anything. If you are fishing a tailwater fishery with low and clear water, smaller flies and fine tippets are usually safe. When I mean smaller flies, I mean smaller flies of the various bug types. For stoneflies, try using darker ones in 14 and 16. For caddis, try some of micro caddis types in 16 and 18. For Baetis and midges, think 18 and smaller. Your fly selection will vary from what bugs that you have in the water system.

Don't rule out buggers. A well placed bugger can get a fish. A trout won't give chase as far as it does during the warmer months, but it will take a stab at it if the fly is in front of its face.

Dennis
Old 12-07-2011, 01:57 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice

I'd say small midge larvae #18-24 is what would work best. Drifted through those slow deep winter holes would most likely produce a couple fish. Good luck
Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Luke,
I thought you lived in Maryland, but a quick look at your threads revealed you actually live in Missouri (you probably knew that ). I don't know what the conditions are in your state regarding rain, drought, or temperature. Look to MP's advice in that case.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

yea im in Missouri. the place ill be fishing is a spring. its a pretty good size spring too even when it rains and the river the spring dumps into gets muddy the spring itself stays pretty clear.
i have a pretty limited supply of flies mostly beadhead copper johns but do have a few midges i thought i would try. guess ill just see what happens and go from there. no matter what it will be better than sittin on the couch watchin TV
Old 12-08-2011, 05:43 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

You talking about Roaring river? Get on Ozarkanglers.com.forums. RR is one of those listed plus the local flyshop owner posts reports every now and then. Someone would reply if you asked.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:01 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Aaron Jasper, in this Winter's issue of Flyfishing and Tying Journal,has written an interesting article on patterns he uses during Winter. They include scuds, sowbugs, egg patterns and worm patterns...

Having spent more than just a few frigid days on this water - in Winter...

Click the image to open in full size.

I would include a selection of those patterns in my vest...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-08-2011, 06:13 PM

i do have some scuds with me as well
ill be fishing at Meramac springs im in central MO Roaring river i have never been to before. one of these days ill get down there