The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default 9 weight to eight weight

i have a tfo bvk 9 weight and i want a tfo bvk 8 weight and i dont want to buy another rod is there anyways to exchange them
Old 12-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 9 weight to eight weight

You have my curiosity up, why would you want to change such a minute thing as 9 - 8 in the same rod. I have a nine in Graphite and an eight in bamboo, this is not apple to apple but they are both a big heavy rod. I would guess that if I had an 8 in the same model as my 9 (graphite) I may not know which was which unless I read the label. I mean same age rod, same reels, line, etc. I don't believe I would notice the difference between them until I drooped to a 7.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-07-2011, 05:31 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

None that I know of, unless someone wants to trade.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i want to trade the exact same rod for just one weight down
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Try an ad in the classifieds.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 PM

well i have a 9 weight line so i want somehting lighter but not so light that i can cast
Old 12-08-2011, 08:46 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I recently went on a redfish trip. i brought my TiCrX 8wt, my buddy brought the same model rod in a 9wt. There was a very visible difference between the two rods. It was clear the 9 was made from a much heavier blank than the 8, with a much thicker diameter butt. The difference in casting the two was very evident too. I wonder if the BVK exhibits the same feature changes...??? I'll contact my rep and see what he says.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I recently went on a redfish trip. i brought my TiCrX 8wt, my buddy brought the same model rod in a 9wt. There was a very visible difference between the two rods. It was clear the 9 was made from a much heavier blank than the 8, with a much thicker diameter butt. The difference in casting the two was very evident too. I wonder if the BVK exhibits the same feature changes...??? I'll contact my rep and see what he says.
Agreed. The blank used on the 9wt TiCr and the X is an odd blank. It's much closer to a 10 than an 8. Someone posted on another BVK thread that their wife throws a 9wt BVK and it's much closer to a true 9wt. If that's the case you won't notice much difference in the 8.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

whoops! my bad......clicked the post button too may times!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Last edited by mrfzx; 12-08-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: duplicate posting
Old 12-08-2011, 11:08 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you buy the rod from a local fly shop? If so, maybe they can work out a deal. If you bought it from a big box like Cabelas, they do have a liberal return policy (something like 90 days). If it's older than that, sell the sucker, but avoid ebay: they charge SOOOO much in fees!!! Ask me how I know.