The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default czech style nymphing

well here it goes,
i was recently given, as a thank you for being such a good supporter, an allen xa 10' 3 weight rod. the boys at allen absolutely do it right
so here in lies the question.....i was planning on using the rod for lake fishing out of my fish cat, but have noticed that allot of these rods in this weight and length are used for "czech style" nymphing.
i did some research and it sounds like a very practical way to fish.
so if any of you czech nymphers out there have any tips.....gracias

casey

ARFE
Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: czech style nymphing

Oooooh, can't complain about the free rod! Let me know how the 3wt treats you, I'm seriously thinking of picking up either a 3wt Xa or 3wt Myth, but I'm still adjusting to the "weight classes" of fly rods and am rather worried of being under-gunned and wearing out a fish. As far as czech nymphing, I'm going to follow this thread so I can learn something as well.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

great gator! looking forward to sharing this thread with you

ARFE
Old 12-08-2011, 10:33 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Nymph Fishing Techniques

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-08-2011, 10:53 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Here's a link to another thread where Silver Creek gives a ton of info on it. Czech style nymphing.. What is your experience? I've since tried it but 9 out of 10 times I've been out the water was low and I wasn't set up correctly for it. Come spring time when our caddis really get moving and our flows are up I can see where this going to be an excellent way to pick apart the B water and faster stuff.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:08 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Man, with one dropper fly I'm always getting slashed, but 5 droppers
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM

thanks for the links guys some great info for sure

casey

ARFE
Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

oh nice! what reel are you gonna put on it?

i've been eyeing some czech style rods for a while now. not sure if i'm gonna take the plunge though.... let us know how the rod works for you and maybe try to convince me with lots and lots of pictures.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o mykiss View Post
oh nice! what reel are you gonna put on it?

i've been eyeing some czech style rods for a while now. not sure if i'm gonna take the plunge though.... let us know how the rod works for you and maybe try to convince me with lots and lots of pictures.
i've got a 2011 model lamson litespeed 1 that i plan on puting on it (the 2011 models can be found at a heavy discount right now as the reel is being redesigned for 2012). i'll let you know how the new rig works out when i actually get a chance to fish it.

casey

ARFE
Old 12-08-2011, 12:50 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i've got a 2011 model lamson litespeed 1 that i plan on puting on it (the 2011 models can be found at a heavy discount right now as the reel is being redesigned for 2012). i'll let you know how the new rig works out when i actually get a chance to fish it.

casey
sweet reel. i own a litespeed 2 myself. sounds like an awesome setup.