The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 07:19 PM

okiegsp is on a distinguished road
Question Local Fly Shops

Since I am in the Oklahoma pandandle the nearest fly shop will probably be 200+ miles away from me.

I am unsure if I need waders or just wading boots for the cimmaron river in new mexico?

Do any local fly shops in this area rent out waders and / or wading boots.
I am unsure of the size od wading boots because I may want to wear stocking foot waders with them.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:40 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Local Fly Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegsp View Post
Do any local fly shops in this area rent out waders and / or wading boots.
I am unsure of the size od wading boots because I may want to wear stocking foot waders with them.
Oliegsp... FWIW, in my area you can buy Hodgman Neoprene Stockingfoot Waders AND Boots for about $100 total. Alternatively you can buy wading shoes for wet wading, but as far as I know these are not designed for use with waders. Sure you can also buy a $450 set of guide gortex waders, but neoprenes do work and work well. If you end doing a LOT of hiking in waders, you can upgrade to gortex breathable waders later.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:12 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

When I bought a set of neoprenes, the cabelas folks said the boots should be one size bigger than your normal shoe size to give room for the waders.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

During the summer, I wet-wade the Cimarron. I just wear shorts, neoprene socks and Chota Brookie II wading/hiking shoes.

Take a look:
Chota Neoprene Gaiter Socks, Neoprene Sock, Wet Wading Sock fly fishing gear
Chota Brookie II, Free Shipping, Wading Boots, Wet Wading, Chota Boots fly fishing gear

Old 07-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll second Steve's reco on wet wading. Even an old pair of tenneshoes will work well, but skip the "river sandals". They often lead to bloody toes.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Cliff is right about the bloody toes. You need to have toe protection from stubbing your toes.

Take a look at the Korker's Sandal. It has toe protection and you can change the soles to different media. If I wanted a sandal I would like at these. I have not used them but they seem like a good idea. I do have other Korker shoes and they are great. Take a look at them Here. Scan down to see the different soles that are available.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=BigCliff;12468] Even an old pair of tenneshoes will work well

I have seen where you can buy the felt soles and glue them on, would this work on tennis shoes!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Enh! I would stay away from that and just go with something like these: RedHead Wading Boots

These would last ALOT longer, but mo money too: Chota Citico Creek Wading Shoe fly fishing gear

If you do plan to eventually get waders, I'd buy the boots big enough to fit the neoprene feet of the waders in there, and wear them with neoprene socks for the time being. This means you'll need to buy the boots at least one and maybe 2 sizes larger than your normal shoe size. Remember: you can always lace them up tighter or add thicker socks to take up room, but a tight toe box can't be expanded.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 PM

Bob Lang will become famous soon enoughBob Lang will become famous soon enough

Okiegsp,

Where in the panhandle are you? I get up there on occssion in that my company has properties in and around Perryton, Booker and on up into Beaver and Texas Counties. I've been wondering what the fishing would be like up there. The few rivers I've been around (Cimmarron, Canadian and their tributaries) look fishy as I drive by, but I've never had the time to stop and wet a hook. Same goes for the few ponds and lakes.

I'd like to see what is there if I knew where to go, who's property it is on (in order to get permission to fish), and what we are fishing for. I've been told it is mostly bream and catfish, but it appears there should be some bass as well. I would not think trout would survive the trip down river from New Mexico, but then again I hve been surprised before.

Bob
Old 07-06-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
Okiegsp,

Where in the panhandle are you? I get up there on occssion in that my company has properties in and around Perryton, Booker and on up into Beaver and Texas Counties. I've been wondering what the fishing would be like up there. The few rivers I've been around (Cimmarron, Canadian and their tributaries) look fishy as I drive by, but I've never had the time to stop and wet a hook. Same goes for the few ponds and lakes.

I'd like to see what is there if I knew where to go, who's property it is on (in order to get permission to fish), and what we are fishing for. I've been told it is mostly bream and catfish, but it appears there should be some bass as well. I would not think trout would survive the trip down river from New Mexico, but then again I hve been surprised before.

Bob
I live in Texas County, I don't go South very often, but around here our city lake does stock trout, also there is Palo Duro lake around Gruver Texas, other than that I am not aware of any rivers around here.

Does your company allow hunting on there properties? Do you bird hunt?