The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 06:20 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default going to have to look for new wadeing boots..mine are going to be banned

jsut read an article that the Missouri dept of conservation as of March 1st 2012 felt soled boots will be banned on missouri trout parks and rivers.
guess im going to have to get new boots now.
what kind of boots are best for the money fellas? really like the looks of the Korkers but not sure if there is some others out there that i need to look at.

here is the article
http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-bans-...invasive-algae
Old 12-08-2011, 06:37 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: going to have to look for new wadeing boots..mine are going to be banned

No matter what.. the new synthetic soled boots are slipperier than felt.

The nice thing about the Korkers, you can swap in a studded sole when you need it. Otherwise, you may end up needing 2 pair of boots
Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: going to have to look for new wadeing boots..mine are going to be banned

I've had lots of different boots over the years, this thread has 40 posts from members giving their opinions on boots. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ding-boot.html After reading them I shopped, I decided on the Simms Guide Boot with stealth tread & cleats. They will not be available in my size until December 28th so I'll wait. My best advice is to save your money and buy the best because the feet are the foundation of the fisherman. I had a bad experience with a pair of Korkers and they weren't on my list of maybe's.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I've had lots of different boots over the years, this thread has 40 posts from members giving their opinions on boots. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ding-boot.html After reading them I shopped, I decided on the Simms Guide Boot with stealth tread & cleats. They will not be available in my size until December 28th so I'll wait. My best advice is to save your money and buy the best because the feet are the foundation of the fisherman. I had a bad experience with a pair of Korkers and they weren't on my list of maybe's.

Ard
Ard...could you elaborate on the bad experience you had with them? would help me decide on what to get. will be a while before i have to get some but ill have to have a new pair at some point
Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is a copy / quote from page 2 of that thread:

[Quote Hardyreels]
I should have written this in original content: Although I may purchase another Korker product the pair I currently own has a malady. The right boot is self destructing, interestingly enough a forum member who visited here and fished with me this summer has the same boot with the same 'right foot' problem.

I contacted Korkers customer service and did my best to be completely honest; I confessed that the boots were over a year old (about 14 months at the time of call) but I pressed the point that I use a river boat to get to where I fish and have not worn the boots for hiking creeks. I described the overall condition of the left shoe as like new and the right as coming apart and extremely uncomfortable on the foot. I also told the fellow that I had purchased every sole that was sold for the boot in question and if they were not interchangeable with the 'new' boot it would be a problem.

The rep on the phone told me that since the boot was over 12 months old they would not be covered by warranty but I could send them back if I wanted. I felt as if my reporting on the boots was in doubt and was reluctant to pay 18.00 to mail them in with no indication that the company would be stepping up on the product. Yes they are over 12 months but yes I do ride in a boat and wade only a hundred yards in either direction prior to moving the boat so.................... That's why I was looking at Simms and Orvis for a new boot.

[Quote]

That is an excerpt from a post I made explaining why I wasn't keen on a second pair. The thread is full of good testimonials and links to reviews. As for Korkers, it's all about the service. I told it like it was but the rep, Sam at Korkers . com, was pretty much towing the line on the 12 month too bad for you thing. This would not happen with Simms or Orvis, period.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-08-2011, 07:50 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Get a good quality boot like Ard said. Since starting fly fishing I've upgraded on everything. Simms G4 guide boots with cleats and studs. They are almost 2 years old and still going strong. My cheap bass pro red heads started falling apart within a year. Let us know what you get.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I have the G4s, and a new set of Korker Chromes

I feel I have to like the Simms better, beciuase they cost more and Simms is headuqartered here..

But.. they missed it with these I think. The Korkers are a better boot, more comfortable and lighter.

Too early to tell is the 'lace' system will hold up, but it's fanbtacstic. Simms has started putting in on some of thier boots.. check it out either way
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I'm on my second pair of korkers.
They are way affordable, and have interchangeable soles.
They fit my feet better than the 'patagucci' type.

I fish on foot almost daily when time affords. My 1st korkers lasted about a year. But I seriously bash then into every rock in the stream. They are still my beater pair for swampy waters...

I had a pair of Frog Togs with the stealth sticky rubber. Stealth rubber is awesome if you like 'technical wading' without falling down. I personally like to get about as fast and deep as I can. Seems to be the way to get toward that good pocket on the other side, so I really go for good traction.

I've also put on some climbing approach shoes in a pinch (forgot the boots). These worked awesome. I just 'stuck' to every rock. I would highly recommend resoling any boot with climbing rubber if you like technical wading in fast water and on mossy granite.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 AM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

Men's Fishing Boots / River Guard™ Ultralight Wading Boot with EcoTraX Soles -- Orvis

My brother and I both have these. Bought them last year around this time. We fish every weekend and wear these boots. I love them. They are comfortable, durable, and provide great traction in the water and on land. I have hiked upwards of 5 miles in these boots with no ill effects.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Wading Fishing Boots / River Guard Navigator with EcoTraX Soles -- Orvis

I've been wearing these since last winter...probably have 50 days in them and haven't been dunked, so far. Studs are great on slime covered cobbles and basketball size rocks...I know a lot of guys swear by felt, but I'll never look back now. Plain and simple...I got em for the cleats and for the Orvis warrantee.

-Mike