The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 09:26 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default not the best day fishing i have ever had for sure

went out yesterday for about 4 hours. was the first time going in a pretty good while for me. i was pretty excited to go as i had new glasses i wanted to see how they worked. i got a new pair of Oakley Fives Squared polorized that i was hopeing would work good. they are the grey lense and it was over cast and cloudy all morning..well they didnt work well at all i was really dissapointed that they didnt work any better. im going to give them another shot and see if they work better when its sunny but im not sure it didnt seem that they took as much of the glare off the water as they should have no matter what lens color.
i did manage to get on some active fish as well but never landed a single one i think i broke off more fish yesterday than i ever have before. i dont know what the deal was but i was breaking off more fish than i should have. not sure if it was my shoddy knot tying which i think it is but man ill bet i broke off 10 fish or more and lost a lot of flies as well. i was getting them to hit but jsut couldnt hook up well. mostly they were hitting a red beadhead copper john..which is pretty much my go to fly for about anywhere i have been so far. did get a few to hit on a white wooley bugger as well as a beadhead zebra midge. but not no where near the ammount of fish were as interested in them as they were the CJ.
im gonna try and pratice a few new knots and see if that helps the next time out hopefully.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:38 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not the best day fishing i have ever had for sure

Is it the knots or the tippet failing? An easy way to tell is the look at the end of the line, if it's curled like a pigtail then your knot came undone. If it's a clean break then maybe new tippet material or one size up.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:38 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Do you know where the knots were breaking? Did it seem like the knot itself was pulling out or was the line breaking or what? Can certainly diagnose more from there. Also, when in the course of the fight were the break-offs occurring? Right away, early, etc? Could it have been heavy drag start-up, too much tension or something along those lines? As far as the polarized lenses not cutting glare, that it strange. Oakley's polarization is usually very very good. On an overcast/cloudy day that sunlight is going to be more oblique but glare should certainly still get reduced very noticeably. It may be the pair of glasses themselves. One interesting test you can do is to don your glasses and then have a look at the screen of your cellphone. Tilt your head or turn the cellphone. If the screen goes to a point where it goes black when you know it should still be visible, the polarization should be cutting glare, but the darker the screen goes generally the better the polarizing filter of the glasses, but this is not always guaranteed. Your phone might not even have a polarizing filter (try a different electronic if need be). If As far as breaking off fish in general, at least you were hooking into them!

Otherwise, check out the Davey knot. It's very simple, cinches well as long as it's wet first, holds strong and requires very very little tag to tie.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Do you really test the tippet to fly knot before fishing it? I like to hook the fly into a d-loop or the finger loop on my forceps and really pull hard on the tippet. I've found more than one poorly tied knot that way! Also, are you lubricating your knot before drawing it up? If, when a fish has broken off your fly, and you check the end of your tippet and see a little corkscrew of tippet material left, you can pretty much bet it was your knot. Also, is your tippet material getting old? Can you break it easily in your hands? Just a few random thoughts.
Gary
Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i use oakley VR28 polarized lenses. They work a treat. They are brown/amber shade, and the advantage here is they increase depth perception.
If you got your oakley recently, take them back and ask for new lenses to be swapped into them instead of the grey polarized. The grey polarized will transmit less light (maybe 10-15%, whereas the VR28's will transmit up to 30% light i believe.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-10-2011, 02:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on amber lenses, love my MJ Sports in any conditions.

Good stuff so far at differentiating where the breakoffs are occuring. Just another thought, were you going too light on tippet? What were you fishing for? Reason I ask is that a few weeks back when I was fishing for steel, I was casting at some very pressured fish using 3x Seguar Flouro and then dialed it down to 5x and got more consistent hookups. The downside was that I lost a lot more fish but it was fun none the less.

Also, what kind of knot were you using where the breakoffs were happening? I typically go with a blood knot for tippet to tippet and a clinch for the tippet to fly. On tandems, I tie to the shank with a clinch and then again to the trailer eye with a clinch.

A bad day of fishing sure as hell beats any day behind a desk.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:22 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've never tried the Oakley brand, but agree with these guys on an amber polarized lens. On darker, overcast days the amber brightens things up, yet still reduces glare. On bright sunny days, you should get better results with those gray lens.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Bad knots, bad tippet, or a heavy hand? Depending on the size of the leader tied to the fly we can snap a lot of tippet to fly and blood knots if we react to a fish with a heavy strike. When you have had more than one broken line and perhaps even tested a knot before fishing it sometimes the best remedy is to allow fish to get hooked and not try to' hook them'. I've found that in many pursuits 'slow & steady wins the race' I believe I quit 'hooking' fish well over 20 years ago and since then once they manage to get hooked on their own, few come loose unless I hurry them to shore too quickly.

Just say'en

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

as far as the knots go i dont really know what the deal was i had quite a few breaks right at the knot cause you could see the curl in the tippet still. and some i think came because of the strike indicators i was using(thingamabobbers, new style) and i think the knot gets a little weaker when the peg is pushed into them. not sure but thats what i think.
the knots i were using were a uni-uni for tippet to tippet and improved clinch on the fly.
im gonna dig around and find some better knots and pratice tying them and see if that helps. i dont think it was tippet size that was giving me the problems as its the same size i always use.
was trout fishing as well and not huge fish but decent fish. i think it was just more my knots or me tying them poorly than anything really.

as far as the glasses go im gonna try and go again on a sunny day and see how they work then. dont get me wrong i would have loved to have the amber lens over any color but where i bought these at they didnt have them
i did contact Oakley about them, maybe they will swap the lenses out for me maybe not sure jsut have to see. if nothing else ill sell these and get a diffrent pair. i thought these were the grey but they are the black iridium lenses. really like the way the glasses fit me but jsut wise they worked a little better. i havea cheapo pair of polorized glasses from cabelas that cost me like $15 that work better than these, thats one of the things that aggriviates me about it.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Luke: If your fishing for trout be careful of not setting the hook like Ard says. You could be heavy handing the hookset. My fishing friend here in town has fished for decades and he still sets the hook like he was bass fishing. I call him the Bass Master and eventually he will settle down and start hooking up after missing the first few fish. All it takes is a small wrist movement to tighten the line up, not like you see on the bass TV shows where they haul back and really lean into the hook set, that will just cause breakoffs. Good luck!

Larry