The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:59 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Most embarrassing moments?

Good stories guys! I'll throw in a couple more to keep this going!

A few years ago I bought a nice one-man inflatable pontoon boat. It was quite a bargain and I was very happy. Keep in mind that I never read the manual for it.

I went to the lake to try it out. It was a pretty busy day for the little local lake. There were quite a few people by the boat launch. There were also several people fishing by the boat launch. Well, I got the boat put together and pumped up and I put it out in the water. I waded out a few feet and sat down. Turns out that the manual (which I ignored) was very specific about weight limits. I was in about 4 feet of water and when I sat down, the one side sank and the boat flipped, dumping me and all of my equipment overboard. I got out of there and had the boat sold in a couple of hours.

Another "incident" happened when I was wade fishing. The river has a smooth and slick bottom at that location, but it's pretty easy to wade because it's very shallow. BUT, at the end of some of these shelves are holes. On this particular day, there were about 20 people out fishing. It was right in the middle of the white bass run. I had my friend with me and he said all of a sudden I disappeared and all he seen was a hand and a fly rod above the water. Yup, you guessed it. I stepped right into the hole. It's a pretty deep hole and it's famously known as "The Hole". The embarrassing part of the story is that 20 minutes before, we met an angry and soaked fisherman who told us "The Hole" had sneaked up on him. I informed him that I never stepped in it. He went home to change and I saw him staring at me when I got up.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Fishing the 'frying pan' catch and release zone in July with lots of people around. I manage to hook something that feels large; I am standing in about 6" of water on some slimy rocks.
I stepped backward while setting the hook, and slipped on a large flat rock. Landed flat on my back while the fish ran... I got up and he shook me off.
Lots of guys standing around smiling and chuckling...
I was just bummed the fish got away!

Capsized a 'sit on top' kayak at a local reservoir last fall. Luckily I was near a rocky ledge to stand on... There was one guy about 100 yards away, keeping an eye on me I later found out. My dry pants leaked through the top, giving me the 'soggy diaper' feeling all day. Almost broke one rod, dumped all of my stuff in the drink, including the dog. It was a cold day, and the water was very cod, and it was windy. Luckily I had a spare set of dry thermals in the dry bag, so I just ended up soggy but kind of warm that day. Kind of funny, I had packed for the event of a capsize, and needed every bit of it...
It ended up being a great day after I got out of the boat. Landed a 19" rainbow on my 'indicator spider' at the reservoir inlet, and later had a huge fight from a 16" bow that became dinner. I saw others catch some 6" stockers or getting skunked, everyone looked hugely jealous at my catch, so I guess getting soaked was worth it that day!

If I don't fall in occasionally, I kind of feel like I'm not trying hard enough. Perhaps a bad habit from too many years of rock climbing?!
Old 12-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys have sure had some bloopers, however, I will cast my vote for best of show as follows: 1'st time Poster 'thehumblefly' on page 1. This guy was the star of a fly fishing segment for the Travel Channel TV. and gave himself a 13 stitches laceration while getting started! Painfully embarassing I would say and given the context of how and when it happened I gotta vote for 'thehumblefly'

I have been lucky in the order in that I have had very few maladays and even fewer that had witnesses. If you have read things I posted over the years then you know I tend to be long winded when telling a tale. I want you to get the whole thing so I go crazy once I start typing. This story is located in my blog pages here on the forum. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...overnight.html It is a 2 part entry and you will have to turn to page 3 to get the final act. Trust me when I tell you that this was my most embarassing moment ever since I started fishing. Even today I have a hard time smiling unless I think about watching someone do what I did.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;