The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Some idiot casting over the ice.......

At the local lake today there was a bit of ice around the banks and the wind was howling. And to make the scene even more repulsive there was some idiot standing out there on the bank with a fly rod in his hand casting out to the wind whipped open water off an open point.

I had to.
It was my new Redington CT 7'6" 3wt that came in the mail today and just begged to be tried out.
No chance of catching a fish in the cold, muddy, wind blown water, but I just had to see what I could do with the new rod under horrible conditions. Actually was able to get some decent casts out despite the wind and was pleased with the performance of the light rod under those conditions. Not ideal for such a light outfit, I usually go to a heavier/faster rod in those conditions, but the delicate little CT stick made a decent attempt.

Looks like I might have a new "favorite" 3wt outfit.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Some idiot casting over the ice.......

Good to hear you're liking the new rod Mike, no worries about ice casting. I fish on and over heavy shelf ice every fall and spring to reach the open water.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feel to bad. I guy I used to fish with up here, but he since moved, were fishing very late into the fall. We took a canoe through Baudette Bay and out into the the Rainy River. The problem was that the bay was freezing over every night. I sat in the front of the canoe and busted ice while my buddy paddled us into the path I chunked out. We fished till pretty much dark. Our path had frozen back over so we had to bust ice coming back in as well. The next day I go into the local gas station which also does double duty as an area coffe clutch. I was not even in there for 3 minutes when someone asked "Hey did you see those two idiots in the canoe yesterday?" I answered, "Yah. I was the front idiot." The look on his face was .... priceless.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:00 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great stories guys!
i'm still laughing

casey

ARFE
Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Not really much time to spend with the rod today, but I had to see how it would do on the water. Tried a few roll casts and I can see I'll have to work on my timing with such a limber rod.
The wind was making overhead casting very challenging, but if I kept casts short (30-35') I was able to get good results in accuracy with casts kept low to the water (more of a sidearm cast).
The CT seems to be a good match to my casting stroke. I know I'll be giving up some distance with it, but that seldom matters in the areas I fish because I can usually get close to the areas I want to target.
Now if I could only hook a nice fish and feel what it's like with something pulling against the line.
It may be early March (annual trout release in the local lake) before I can fully test it, but I can tie flies and have pleasant dreams until then.