The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 PM

azflyguy is on a distinguished road
Question 7# on 5/6# Reel?

Hey all,
I have a question can I use 7 pound fly line on a 5/6 pound reel and a 7 pound rod?
Any problems with that setup?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:15 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 7# on 5/6# Reel?

That adds up to 19-20 pounds; I'd go to something lighter.

Actually, it isn't 7 pound line, it's 7 weight line. The number just means relative weight: 5 is lighter than 6 is lighter than 7 etc. They all have about the same breaking strength.

As long as the weight line matches the weight rod you're OK. The only problem of using a 5/6 weight reel is that there won't be room for as much backing, and the line may be coiled a bit from the smaller diameter spool.

Most of my reels are "designed" for larger weight lines than I use. I have my 4 weight line on a 5/6 reel, for example.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 07-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi azflyguy,

As Jakeway stated you will be limited with your backing. A couple of things you can do. Use a Super Braid made from Spectra for backing. It has a very small diameter and you will be able to get more backing on the reel. You have to be very carefull with Spectra as it will cut you if you get careless. Another thing you can do is cut 10' or so off of the back end of the fly line. That is, cut the running line NOT the front casting end. This will shorten your fly line but you will still have plenty to cast in Arizona for Bass or Trout. I fished a lot in Arizona and never got into my backing. Where are you fishing?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Re: 7# on 5/6# Reel?

Hey guys thanks for the Humor, info and tips much appreciated...at the moment I am fishing most the lakes in the White Mountains between Sunrise and Alpine. I also go to Riggs lake on Mt. Graham.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

azflyguy,

That is some pretty country you are fishing. I fished the White Mountains a few times. You should give Lee's Ferry on the Colorado a try. Some nice size fish there.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
azflyguy,

That is some pretty country you are fishing. I fished the White Mountains a few times. You should give Lee's Ferry on the Colorado a try. Some nice size fish there.
Lee's ferry looks like a nice place and not too far from where I live.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:08 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

I fish Riggs flat. Was up there 2 weeks ago.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i put a 7 wt floating bass bug line on a reel designed for a 5/6 line a couple of months ago. i got enough backing on their for my needs, maybe half a regular spool of standard backing line. it depends on what you're fishing for. largemouth bass don't take off down or upstream like a steelhead would. the main problem is that particular 5/6 reel was too light to balance the rod correctly. it works fine, just not ideal.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:23 PM

Wrench is on a distinguished road

I can tell you from experience that a #8 will fit if you loose all your backing and shorten the line by 20 ft but I felt so continuos of the fact that I had 10 ft of backing reserve that I bought a new reel.