The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 09:55 AM

jeremy_w is on a distinguished road
Default Early christmas gifts to me.

So, november 23rd I had shoulder, surgery and was pretty bummed. I was looking at spey rods, and mainy the echo DH, solo, TFO deer creek. I found a virgin sage VT2 only ever lawn cast with blank warranty card for $300.00, I still owe a little $ on it but i figure if I was going to spend $340 on a DH a might as well get a sage. And my next gift to me is a William joseph squall jacket that I ordered on friday, i'm pretty excited to get it. It seems nicer then the Sage skagit, and $30 less(I found the skagit for $100) And last but not least I also ordered a new pack the willy J creel, mainly because my exodus is way too big, and i've always preffered the "Sling" type bags over back packs(Less restrictive when fishing, IMO). Only problem now is what reel should I get? I'm looking at the speyco reels, but after using higher end reels like the ross F-1, and some of the lamsons and galvans I'm considering another allen. They're a pretty bomber reel, especially at $130.00
Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Early christmas gifts to me.

Hi Jeremy,

Hope all mends well with the shoulder and will be interested in hearing how you like the VT2. Reels........ weight may influence your decision, the long rods need some heft in the reels. I use an Orvis Odyssey IV and a Cascapedia 8/9 on my 13' rod and things balance out nice. What will you be fishing for with this rig/

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I can 'attest' the SpeyCo reels are the 'reel deal;' have several. No disrespect for the other reels mentioned, but the SpeyCo's are a 'multi-generational' reel ..... read that your Great Grandchild will be fishing with that reel.

The others? Probably in a box somewhere in the garage.

fae
Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Yeah, I know the speyco's are nice, I'm going to check then out better at spey clave this summer. It's a salmon/steel rod generally, but I will also be fishing big northern pike at times, and some atlantics and skamania in the summer here on the salmon river. The cascapedia looks nice, as a matter of fact that was my first choice. Another reel i've been looking at is the loop evotec G4. I like the speyco reels, but at 12 oz i think that's a little too hefty for me. The bougle is nice but $599 and the cascapedia is about the same, so i'm looking at the marquis. A buddy said I should check out the lamson guru, as well as the ross CLA. The CLA is more in my price range, as are the TFO fly reels, which everyone has said are great. I do like the exposed rims, for palming the reel as well. verse fingering the side of the spool.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Both of my reels are 12 ounce or more without line a backing. You'll be surprised how weight will not be such an issue with this style casting and rigs. What length and weight is the rod?

Old 12-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Both of my reels are 12 ounce or more without line a backing. You'll be surprised how weight will not be such an issue with this style casting and rigs. What length and weight is the rod?
Yeah, I checked out other 14' 8 weights, and it was fine, however the CLA seemed to balance reel well, I like the lamsons but they're super light. A buddy suggested that I get a cheaper reel, just so I can fish for now, and then when I get more $ buy a nicer reel, and put the other reel on my 11' 8 weight switch rod. I would love to afford a hatch, but I don't have $600+ About the most I can justify right now is $250-$300 And, I have found a used loop even tec g3 in a 10 weight for $225 with a spare spool
Old 12-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Sounds like your set then, tight lines.....................

Ard

Old 12-11-2011, 04:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Early christmas gifts to me.

".... A buddy said I should check out the lamson guru, as well as the ross CLA. The CLA is more in my price range..." They're a well constructed 'light' (weight) reel and for line weight/things you're fishing for at/under 10-15 pounds (in a river) a 'good answer.' Puppies hunt.

Just a personal 'opin' here, with the exception of heavy duty salt water reels, 'Is there really a reel' worth over $400.00? Again, opinion only, they are almost 'none existent.'

Even at that 'price point' you have to ask yourself is the reel 'worth that,' or is this an ego driven purchase decision?

Just my .02 cents ...
Old 12-11-2011, 04:52 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

joni posted an animated video on this topic a while back that was very funny
i cant seem to find it though
joni, could you repost

casey

ARFE
Old 12-11-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
".... A buddy said I should check out the lamson guru, as well as the ross CLA. The CLA is more in my price range..." They're a well constructed 'light' (weight) reel and for line weight/things you're fishing for at/under 10-15 pounds (in a river) a 'good answer.' Puppies hunt.

Just a personal 'opin' here, with the exception of heavy duty salt water reels, 'Is there really a reel' worth over $400.00? Again, opinion only, they are almost 'none existent.'

Even at that 'price point' you have to ask yourself is the reel 'worth that,' or is this an ego driven purchase decision?

Just my .02 cents ...
No, the steel head, and northern pike are generally 12-15 LB sometimes i'll get lucky and land a 17 or 18 pound steelie, but I'll frequently fish kings in the 25-30 pound range, Largest salmon i caught was 45.5 inches and about 23" girth. I know, I'd rather buy a reel that's a good price, and still manage to make the trip to fish each day, even though it's only 30 miles I fish 3 or 4 days a week every week.