The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 03:41 PM

mark883c is on a distinguished road
Default A beginners search for first Outfit

This is my first post to the board and I would like some help in selecting my first outfit. I live in NE Alabama and will be fishing mostly warm water fish (bluegill, crappie and occasionally bass). If I am right a 5 weight setuo should be apropriate for this environment. Most fishing will be done from the bank as well as some wading. Having done a little research and having a budget of about $250 dollars I would like some input on my choices.

I have narrowed my reel selection to the following:

1) Allen Alpha
Allen Fly Fishing
2) Ross Flyrise
ROSS FLYRISE 2 FLY REELS from ReelFlyRod.com. Free Shipping!
3) Reddington Drift
REDINGTON DRIFT 5/6 WT FLY REELS from ReelFlyRod.com

Rod selection woud be:

1)Redington Pursuit
REDINGTON PURSUIT 586-4 FLY ROD from ReelFlyRod.com
2) Ross Essence
ROSS ESSENCE FS 586-4 FLY ROD from ReelFlyRod.com. Free Shipping

I have considered some of the Outfits but think a combination of the above might produce a nicer outfit. If I'm way off base or you can think of something better in my price range please discuss. I would also like to hear of any personal experiences people have of the above equipment.

Thank you

Mark McDermott
Old 12-11-2011, 03:48 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A beginners search for first Outfit

There will be others with much more experience responding to your questions, but did want to say WELCOME to the forum. Lot of good folks on here.

Dave
Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice

Welcome Mark,

My recommendation isnt included in your list of choices, but it is what i currently fish with.

The Temple Fork Outfitters Professional Series have been great rods for me, I have two, an 8ft 4wt and a 9ft 7wt. Being a poor college student, I cant quite afford Sage or Winston rods, so these seemed like a good option. Not very good aesthetic wise, but if that doesnt matter to you, than these are a great fast action rod.

I bought an outfit from Cabelas over the summer, which included the rod, a Cabelas RLS reel and SA Mastery WF line, for 250 or 280 I believe it was. The Cabelas reel has been ok, but I am looking to upgrade eventually, because it kind of feels cheesy.

I put a Lamson Konic on my 7wt and love that, looking to get one of those on my 4wt soon.

All in all it may be a little more than you were thinking, but still very affordable and a great performing rod, especially for the fishing that you described
Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Allen Fly Fishing

Justin from Allen Fly Fishing is a supporter of this site. Check out his website. The above link is to a sale he is having now on a rod/reel combo. Throw in one of his lines for 12 bucks and you are ready to go....

Allen Fly Fishing

Call Justin, he will take care of you!

-Forrest

You could also go with his Xa combo @239....
Old 12-11-2011, 06:12 PM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

check out Flyshopcloseouts.com heres a TFO pro series 5 weight with matching battenkill bar stock reel with line and everything for under $260

TFO Pro Series 4-Piece Rod with Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor Reel and Line-Backing for 4 or 5 Weight - Fly Rod and Reel Outfits
Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by famill00 View Post
Allen Fly Fishing

Justin from Allen Fly Fishing is a supporter of this site. Check out his website. The above link is to a sale he is having now on a rod/reel combo. Throw in one of his lines for 12 bucks and you are ready to go....

Allen Fly Fishing

Call Justin, he will take care of you!

-Forrest

You could also go with his Xa combo @239....
I gotta throw in with this endorsement, many forum members use Justin's gear and they are very satisfied.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

+1 for allen gear
if allen fly fishing were around when i started fly fishing, it would have been a no brainer, allen everything

casey

ARFE
Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Allen Alpha reel for my 6wt and it has been a great reel. I've never used their rods or lines, but folks say some good things.

I also wanted to mention that Albright is having a big sale that ends soon. When I started I got their Topwater rods in 4wt and 6wt and loved them both. The 4wt would be my primary trout rod if my buddy hadn't gotten me addicted to building my own, now that's all I fish with. I haven't used their reels so can't speak to them.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: A beginners search for first Outfit

It wasnt but a few months back I was in your situation, and this board is a great help so welcome. I to fish warm water and creeks with warmwater fish during the summer. Heres what happend to me.

I was looking at those sweet outfits and such and had my eye set on a 6-7wt rig looking to spend about the say as you. When one of the guys at the local nature park offered me his barly used scientific angler outfit for 20 bucks.. so I jumped on it. It needed some good wt forward floating line but after that I was able to start casting. After stocking up on some asorted gear I needed, leaders and flies, treatments and such I was able to get on the water and start catching fish. I now have waders which I purchased to use during the colder months but still havent used them. I now have probley 500$ tied up in flyfishing stuff, but still only 20 bucks in the rod and reel. I do plan to get a nicer 8 wt this spring or sooner, but keep in mind theres alot of other stuff youll need for fly fishing since 99% of the spin tackle you may have if your like me is useless in FF. this being said dont be scared off by those 99$ combos or a better used rig, you can put good fly line on it and itll cast plenty good to get you out having fun. good luck. and once you get a bite on flys theres no going back.
mike
Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I got a 9' 5wt cabelas setup with a Lamson konic reel for like $220 (cabela's traditional II setup??). The rod has been surprisingly nice, and is now my favorite 5wt. Also it came with all the backing and line... no brainer.

I really like the lamson for the cost. And the rod was essentially free with the outfit, but casts very nicely.
When I started, I got a fairly stiff rod. This helped with aim and timing in the beginning. I have a softer rod that I sucked with for a long time before figuring it out.
I believe a softer rod will help your presentation, but if you need to wing it under tight cover, stiff seems to help.

I also have a reddington redfly 9'6" 7wt. Cost $75 on clearance. Not a high end rod, but I've landed a 24" brown on it quickly!
When you start out, you are going to fall on your rod or jam it into a tree. Just get something you can beat on without being heartbroken if you smash it... I had no need for a better casting rod until my third year, and now I have good beater gear for my friends.