The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Hotspotting: thoughts

I had this question posed via PM and I thought I'd share my views on the topic. (I don't recall my exact words that sparked the question.)

Quote:
I am new to the forum and saw you mention this so I would just ask. What is hotspotting and why is it not welcome?
Hotspotting is a term used for giving precise productive fishing locations on a publicly viewable internet site. The reason why I don't recommend it is because once its out there, you have no control over who's viewing it, and what they'll do to such a spot. Once a productive spot is made known on the internet, the likelihood of it being abused by those who litter, ignore fishing regulations, and aggravate landowners increases considerably.

Keep in mind that for most sites like this one, you can assume that there are at least 4x as many lurkers/non-members viewing the site. Even if you like and trust the folks you see on a given site, that's likely only 20% of who's looking at it.

I'm not saying you shouldn't share spots with the folks you get to know on this site, I just recommend doing so via PM.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:57 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotspotting: thoughts

We call that 'spot burning' around here and one local forum that I belong to has a policy so strict about it that they will ban you for even a vague reference to a specific location.

I think there's major differences when it comes to kiss and tell that you need to consider.

How well known the spot is already?
If I said to park at Varney Bridge on the Madison..... I'm not giving up anything that everyone doesn't already know. But I'm not about to give up directions to my favorite brook trout stream

The accessibility and size of the location named.
Last week I fished South Beach in Chatham Mass..... it's 15 miles long and only has one access point. You need to walk. It's loaded with great white sharks too.
No beans to spill there.

How specific are you being in your description?
Are you saying "X river in the town of Y", or are you saying "the pool near the third pull-off on Z road, 9 tenths of a mile off Route Q" ?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
We call that 'spot burning' around here and one local forum that I belong to has a policy so strict about it that they will ban you for even a vague reference to a specific location.

I think there's major differences when it comes to kiss and tell that you need to consider.

How well known the spot is already?
If I said to park at Varney Bridge on the Madison..... I'm not giving up anything that everyone doesn't already know. But I'm not about to give up directions to my favorite brook trout stream

The accessibility and size of the location named.
Last week I fished South Beach in Chatham Mass..... it's 15 miles long and only has one access point. You need to walk. It's loaded with great white sharks too.
No beans to spill there.

How specific are you being in your description?
Are you saying "X river in the town of Y", or are you saying "the pool near the third pull-off on Z road, 9 tenths of a mile off Route Q" ?
Valid points, some of which I addressed by throwing in "precise" in my post.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

OK, I never tell where I am catching. I have mixed feelings about it sometimes when a friend asks, but I am totally against anything on the web. I don't see how any good can come from it.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

I mod a local board and there are strict policies regarding this as well.

There are lists of "Open" rivers that are common knowledge but even than revealing specific holes or runs could land you in hot water.

Some rivers and streams are simply un-mentionable openly for the same reason Cliff mentioned.

You have to remember...these forums work on advertising dollars and to be a legit player you have to have so many hits and hits by unique users...that means opening things up to web search engines and web crawlers...which means anyone running a search on a "Tittabwassee River Fishing" anywhere in the world can view that post.

The issue is rarely the members of the board (I keep telling myself that anyway) but like Cliff said...4X on the LOW side viewing any thread are members.
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 07-07-2010, 01:25 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Rip tide,

I think I know the site you are talking about, but that site's "spot burning" policy only pertains to those areas that the majority of members fish. I was lambasted for mentioning that striped bass were in the "lower reaches of the Housatonic" and linking to a newspaper article that wasn't even specific as to "where".

Yet every time anyone on that site asks about wading for bones in the keys, some bozo from CT or NJ or NY brings up a named flat that I've been fishing for over 35 years and which is so small that I can cover the entire flat alone on flat days.

Prior to the internet I would rarely, except on perfect tides, run into anyone there except for a guy who worked at Chittum's in Islamorada who fished it after work on the best tides, and who became an amiable fishing companion when we ran into each other down there. It was too skinny and small for the quides to bother with, and tourists never even noticed it.

There is a big difference between a flat 300 yds long and a beach 15 miles long, as well as a big difference between stripers (or blues) and bonefish. On that same site, the moderator of one of the forums described how long a walk down a particular beach it was from a particular parking lot to a visable wrecked barge, and which tide to fish for pompano and small permit. That moderator does not live in Florida.

If there weren't so many cops down here I'd be tempted to change the name on the sign on Route 1.

Internet spot burning can be a real problem, especially when as estimated 4 million visitors drive within 40 yards of it every year.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM

hoshnasi is on a distinguished road

The introduction of Google maps and further Google earth has really compounded issues as well. However, it had help me find a variety of new fishing holes.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 PM

tbone616 is on a distinguished road

On a local forum i'm a member of up here it's the same way. But one thing we did which i thought was cool that if anyone was interested after you had at least 50 posts we would pass around a google map link which anyone could add good fishing spots to for new locals to the area to see. Now mind you i'm sure no one added there "honey holes" (i know i sure didn't) but just majoritly known decent fishing spots for newer folks to get started on.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

My home ff'ing forum (if there is such a thing) is based in Utah. It doesn't allow hot spotting or reports. If someone want's to know how a certain water is fishing, they ask the question and if someone wants to, they'll email or pm the person. Nothing gets put over the forum.
Now another question pops up- how do you hot spot Strawberry Reservoir, the Provo River or the Green River, Henry's Lake? You really don't, so places like those that are a major fishing venue get talked about and reported. It's the smaller, lesser known ones that you want to keep quite on.
Big places can handle the pressure.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

There's little useful information that I could offer in terms of directions, even if I wanted to. A friend that fishes the Neshaminy Creek asked me which spot I thought best along the 47 mile stream. It happened to be a section about 15-20 minutes from his house, but I give directions like this: You go down that road (I never know the name of roads ), you know, that passes by the store that used to be a 7-Eleven, but is now a dry cleaner. When you reach that, so another couple lights until you pass the other convenience store with the blue or red sign out front. Keep going and look alongside the road for the stream, and then you'll know you're going in the right direction. Once you get past the nursery school (one of 18 along the way), you'll loose sight of the stream, but that's okay. Keep going to you see a left turn that has a parking lot that's not quite visible from the main road, but if you know which left turn, you'd be able to see it. That's the spot. I really did give directions something almost like that, and the guy drove around for an hour and a half. I don't thin he was even in the right town!

I was speaking with the manager of an Orvis shop (Mainstream Outfitters) a few months ago, and showed him a pic of that big LMB I post on this forum every now and then. I told him where I caught it, and he told me that he never gives away spots. He does give a general idea, like Bucks County, but doesn't want to give too much away. What's really amazing is when you're into something hot, and other anglers ignore it. I was fishing one of the local trout stocked lakes a couple Aprils ago, and was hauling them in. I was back in a cove, and guys were passing in boats. They'd look, and I'd tell them the trout were in that cove by the bucket load. They'd shrug their shoulders, and continue on to a worthless spot. After telling everyone that I saw for a week that the cove held a LOT of trout, a kid around 20 listened, and caught his limit in in 20 minutes. Even after seeing that, 99% of the guys passing in boats wouldn't come into the cove, and half of them were lucky to get much of anything in their pre-determined spot. I don't keep the trout, and that lake warms up quickly in the Spring, so I don't mind giving out info.....