The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 05:55 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice
Default The Alabama Rig

The lure is called "The Alabama Rig."
It's the newest innovation that's taking the largemouth bass
community by storm. The Alabama Rig is catching so many
fish in the professional bass tournaments that many anglers
are trying to have it banned.

Professional Bass Angler Paul Elias.
Click the image to open in full size.

Close up shot of the Alabama Rig.

For you fly fisherman who've never heard of an Alabama Rig you might want to
stop right now and go on Google ... then type in "Alabama Rig".
It is actually several lures combined on a wire frame similar to
an umbrella ... known commonly among anglers as "an umbrella rig."

East Coast striper fisherman have been using the umbrella rig to
trawl for stripers for years... But it took a Southern Boy to scale
it down so you could throw it with a casting rod.
(And you thought because we talk slow that we are dumb) :roll:

Now "what" you may ask has this to do with fly fishing? Well if it
works so good as a lure... catching 2, 3, even 4 fish on one cast...
I wonder how it would work as a fly? So having more free time than good sense...
I give you.....

TA... DA...

"The Alabama Fly"

Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The Alabama Rig

Hi Stan,

I am going to be very interested in seeing your results with that.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2011, 06:22 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

that might be a bi*Ch to cast and keep untangled, not to mention illegal on many waters i can think of, but it sure is interesting looking.
Certainly interested to see the results.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Stan: Very interesting setup, like the others have said, I to would be interested to hear about your results, keep us posted.

Larry

Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
that might be a bi*Ch to cast and keep untangled, not to mention illegal on many waters i can think of, but it sure is interesting looking.
Certainly interested to see the results.
Yah what he said. I'm betting it's booger to keep from tangling, it's not legal here, it is pretty interesting looking. Let us know how it works.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

I hate those stupid rigs. Although I assume yours was made to poke fun, so for that, I salute you!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 12-11-2011, 08:57 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunately I can say I know of these rigs the idea behind it is to simulate a small school of bait fish swimming in front of a school of bass and to trick them into a feeding frenzy. I find these baits a little over the top.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

hi stan,
thats quite a rig you've got there
looks like it would be, as others have mentioned, "interesting" to cast
curious to see some results/medical bills

casey

ARFE
Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I'm not a big fan of umbrella rigs, even so, I own one for trolling, they do work well at times. But, as has been said, your results with the fly rod version will be interesting, particularly casting it!

It would not be legal here either, just as the Alabama version is not. MD only allows two hooks, or in the case of umbrella's two lures with hooks. Most folks here use a single hooked Sassy Shad, often in conjunction with a bucktail jig or parachute jig in the center and extending behind the rest, which helps to minimize tangles, with the rest mounted on the rig without hooks. Umbrella rigs can weigh several ounces, so trolling them on heavy tackle is the only real option!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Don't think it is legal here, but lemme know how it works!

Edit:

I think it would be legal with only two hooks. Would it be worth fishing if some (all but two) of the lures had no hooks, and if so would it then be legal?

I'd love to see a casting video, regardless.