The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Costa Rica

I am heading to Costa Rica at the end of FEB for my daughters wedding. Hoping to get a little fishing in after the festivities are over. Any suggestions.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Rica

Tracker: Sounds like an interesting trip! I've been interested in making a trip down there, but yet to go. Awhile back I was reading about tarpon fishing in Costa Rica, you might try a Google search and see what turns up. Best of luck with your trip and the wedding.

Larry

Old 12-11-2011, 07:25 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

just say: adonde estan los pescados?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

I believe he should ask: adonde estan los pescados grandes
Old 12-12-2011, 02:51 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
I am heading to Costa Rica at the end of FEB for my daughters wedding. Hoping to get a little fishing in after the festivities are over. Any suggestions.
Go to the local cantina and say, "Tengo gusto de muchachas grandes".

They'll take you to the big fish.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Haha to the last phrase. A buddy of mine is from Costa Rica. Fishing-wise he would always talk about beach fishing for roosterfish so Id say check that out, doesn't even require a guide or a boat!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:31 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I've spent some time in Montezuma, CR(Pacific side at the tip of the Nicoya peninsula) in Feb. fishing bait balls that move in right on the beach that time of the year.. Jacks, roosters, Spanish mackerel, bonito and more were present.....Just watch for huge flock's of pelicans and frigate birds diving and working over the bait balls and you'll find the fish. I had a blast. Hope this help's. Cody
Old 12-13-2011, 12:09 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

My father-in-law lives 6 months of the year in CR. He fishes almost exclusively for Tarpon. A few things to consider: Tarpon are only on the western coast of CR. Public access is extremely limited due to no real roads or accomodations other than the resorts. basically you need to fly in or take a boat for the last leg of the journey. The Rio Colorado River is famous for its huge Tarpon.

My FIL and I run a booking agency and book trips through several resorts and guides in CR. You really can't sight fish for Tarpon in CR. The water is deep and/or brackish/muddy. Usually the accepted method is to troll a fly behind a boat. The Tarpon can be huge, my FIL has landed as big as 198 lbs., but realistically the average size is prabably closer to 80-90 pounds, with 130-150 a real possibility. You will not only be dealing with a very strong fish, but some current in the river as well. 12 weight rods are the realistic minimum here, with 14's being well used. Reels need to hold a minimum of 250 yds of 40 pound dacron, with more being desirable. Sinking lines are the norm, but an extra floater could come in handy.

Hope this helps some. If you would like more info, PM me and I will give you the web address of our web site.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I thought the tarpon were located on the Atlantic side of CR. Not really interested in that much of an adventure. The wedding is at a resort called Tabacon in the interior. After that we are hoping to head to a resort somewhere so I can fish and the wife can soak up the rays. Would like to FF but not set on that.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Its all good. There are even trout streams up in the mountains in CR! I'll bet you can get some fine salt action on the East coast....I know there are a plethora of day charters, just be sure that you find one with guiding Fly Fishermen experience. A poorly handled boat can ruin a trip. If my memory is correct, the Pelagic fish follow the coast line North to South as the year progresses.....February.....I think the best fishing would be at the North End of the East coast then. Good Luck! Don't forget the fishing report!

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

I see you are from MD, if you want to chat come to the Somerset, NJ Fly Show and look me up. I'll be there in the 4 Points booth.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.