The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default labels for line size????

I'm always trying different line sizes on my reels and have a bad habit of forgetting which line I have spooled on a reel.
I've seen spools pictured with a small stick-on label on the spool to identify the line, but an online search for labels hasn't produced results for finding them.

Anyone have any idea where I can get small sticky back labels that would work?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: labels for line size????

I'm guessing 'Craft Store' the little labels that people use for yard sales should work. Any thin paper label could be trimmed with scissors to make it small enough.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I use blue masking tape. It sticks very well, even after being dunked, and a spool will last a lifetime. (I'm cheap! ):
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

You are a problem solver Frank! Why didn't I think of that? I don't have any stickers on reels, I pretty much know what's where. The lines I have to keep track of are the ones not on reels. I keep them in large coils tied with pipe cleaners and have to label them all or I wouldn't know a 5 from a 6 and so on.

Use tape Mike

Old 12-12-2011, 10:47 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ard,
I found someone's brilliant idea of using a waterproof marker to mark lines: simply put 5 marks for a 5wt, etc. It works well, and I no longer have to weigh of mic a line. The number on the tape is waterproof marker as well, and the piece if tape is cut down to size considerably.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Labels can fall off. I use Lefty Kreh's method of labeling the line.

Use a Sharpie to mark the tip of of the fly line with rings. A thick ring means "5" and a thin ring means "1". So a thick and a thin ring is a "6" wt line. 3 thin rings is a "3" wt line. You can use different colors for sinking, floating etc.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator

I see you and Silver are on the same track here, as mentioned I don't have a problem with knowing what's what............yet. The marks on the lines sounds like the best way to approach this.

I never liked stickers Mike, I've used too many reels with so tight of tolerance in the machining that they would not work inside the frame on on the back of the spool. My biggest hang up with a 'sticker' is that on some reels if you leave it on for years the finish all around the sticker will fade due to UV radiation, ozone, etc, meanwhile under the paper sticky the finish has been preserved. I have passed over many a fine reel in the past 15 years because they had been marked this way.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i like the idea of the kreh method, simple and effective
if i were gonna use the tape method, i may put the tape on the back of the spool. seems that it would be less prone to fall off

casey

ARFE
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I too, use Lefty's method.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I like that I idea so much I marked all my lines this evening.