The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Looking Back on 2011, Your Best Experiences & Days of The Year;

I know the year isn't up yet but we're closing in on the 31'st and for many of us the rivers are either frozen or in some cases the season closed so.... We had a thread like this last year; What Was Your Best Experience in 2010 Fishing? and it got plenty of stories, pictures and memories stirred up. So if it works, keep doing it was my thought here.

I know you can't peel it down to just one day sometimes or just one thing so I'll be coming back and posting more pictures and short stories (short, I promise) on the thread as it gets replies from everyone else. I'll start if off with just a couple snapshots and tell you that this was a great year for me here. Variety was the main course, oxymoron..... maybe but I tried to shake the salmon habit and to fish often for other species and I had a wonderful time doing it. I also toted my camera more often and took some unforgettable landscape / riverscape photographs. I'll sick some of them on here later on also.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Looking Back on 2011, Your Best Experiences & Days of The Year;

another great thread ard

here are a few fond memories from 2011

fishing my home water in alaska
Click the image to open in full size.

first fish caught on glass

my daughter enjoying the bounty of natural beauty in alaska

casey

ARFE
Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Man the Grayling shot! What a wicked fish, I hope one day to have the oppertunity to hook one.
I had alot of good days and alot of crumby days this year but they all lead up to a good experience in that I learned alot more.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I will say that 2011 was probably my best year of fly fishing. I caught bigger fish and more species than any previous year. I also found many new spots. I've caught some of my biggest catfish and carp yet. I also hooked up with a few bigmouth buffalo as well. Much better than one or two a season!

One of my best days was in July. It was hot and nasty and I didn't feel much like fishing in the heat, but I went anyway. I'm glad I did because the carp were rolling everywhere. I thought I would try a new spot. It was a pain to get to and with some health issues, it was quite a workout. I landed 3 BIG carp and went home with arms that felt like wet noodles and a grin you could see a mile away.

My other day was in June and after a day of rain, the river was up and the fish were hungry. I caught a fish on every cast. Carp, cats, drum, bass, you name it, I hooked up. I ended up SMOKING the worm-tossers. I never felt that puffed up and proud. (Except for when my daughter was born, but that surpasses it all. )
Old 12-12-2011, 11:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

From my Facebook page dated October 18, 2011.
I fished the Lower Yuba for 20 minutes this afternoon. I got a 20" wild Rainbow Trout on an Upright Johnson Caddis. Satisfied with that one big fish, I called it a day.

From my Facebook page dated October 10, 2011.
I went back to the Lower Yuba to see if I could hook into Slim's bigger brother "Homie," but "Homie" wouldn't play. It was quite alright since Slim's cousin, "Sheila," was up for an Upright Johnson Caddis wetfly.

That was a very fun day. Trout were feeding like there was no tomorrow.

2011 was a great Striped Bass year in the local rivers. It was better for me for quantity rather than pure size. Here's a beauty.

Dennis
Old 12-13-2011, 12:07 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I couldn't fish all season due to first a shoulder, then hip issues, surgeries. My friends were tearing it up on a fly I developed early in the season. Finally, third week of September I was good enough ( short lived, but good enough for a week) I got to go and fish my fly. The first morning:

I guess I'd say it was my best fishing day of the year.
Gary
Old 12-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

This Rainbow of yours Ard, is the most amazing marked one I have ever seen. Awsome fish.
It was not a bad year for me either. Got a lot of big fish, but this is big water and we have a lot of big fish.
And I made the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame calendar for the 5th year in a row.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great stuff guys!! 2011 was a great year for sure

casey

ARFE
Old 12-13-2011, 05:49 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

I could be wrong, but I think that rainbow is actually a coastal cutthroat.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke em View Post
I could be wrong, but I think that rainbow is actually a coastal cutthroat.
I couldn't see The Red Slash under the Jaw.

Ard. We didn't catch them that big in Lake Creek last year,however I caught some nice ones in The Kvichak.
Gary.I hope you are on The Mend.
Dan.
A Great Achievement
Cheers.
Brian