The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Inflatable PFD Advice Needed

[quote=zerolimit;12559]
The Mustang manual says not to inflate by the blow tube before the PFD has been inflated once with CO2. Not sure why that would be but that means the first test is a $20 rearm. Doesn't seem right.

Mike,

I would send them an Email and ask why they want you to inflate the vest before you use the blow tube. It may be a test to inflate their wallets.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Thats funny Frank,

thats probably the reason.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I'm a little late getting into this discussion, but I spent a lot of time earlier looking into the pro's & con's of the various PFD types suitable for my wading and float-tubing - inflatable "suspenders", inflatable vests and inflatable belts. The inflatable fishing vests were too limited in their carrying capacity options to work for me in all my fishing situations. As to the inflatable suspender PFDs, it seemed to me that they would interfere with using a high capacity fishing vest.

For these reasons I ended up buying a Sospenders Series 38 Inflatable Belt PFD. Its primary advantage over the other two types was its out-of-the-way "small footprint" profile in its belt-ready position for the 99%+ of the time when it wouldn't be activated anyway, and the fact that when deployed into its pull-over-your-head inflated vest, it would fit over my fully-filled fishing vest or my "minimalist" chest pack. Its CO2 cylinder for quick activation at times when manually blowing it up wasn't feasible was also a plus, as not all of the PDF alternatives have this option. I'd also mention that it has more buoyancy than some of the alternative PDFs, which is obviously also a plus.

It's main disadvantage to me was the need to manually pull the inflated vest over my head, which obviously couldn't be done if I was completely incapacitated. But then, an incapacitated user wouldn't be able to deploy any inflatable PFD anyway, so I didn't see that as much of a negative.

Whatever PDF you end up with, if it uses CO2 cylinders for rapid inflation, you might want to purchase a couple extra, because finding the right size can be a problem in my experience, and they aren't refillable.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Re: Inflatable PFD Advice Needed

Anybody thinking of transporting a PFD with a CO2 cartridge in either checked or carry-on baggage on an airline should check the Thread under Tackle Talk: Other Gear, entitled Can CO2-Inflatable PFDs Be Transported on Airlines?

Short answer is "Yes"; here's the link to the U.S. Government publication stating so: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ersAndCrew.pdf

So you know.
Fly2