The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Lonely 10wt seeks big beautiful toothy fish...

Lonely virgin 10wt seeks adventure with hefty cold water toothy fish.
You should be:
long, toothy, aggressive, put up a good fight, a new species for me.
Interested in long streamer chases...

Supposedly there are pike and muskie here in Colorado in some of our mountain reservoirs. I have never seen one.
I have tied streamers for them.
I have cast my 10wt blindly in good spots near structure for them.
But really I have no idea where to look for muskie and pike.
Next spring when the ice comes off I want to start looking for some.
I have a 1 man pontoon that might help.

Suggestions from our northern folks? Any Colorado dudes that know pike and muskie? I am also going after carp next spring, which has so far landed me some nice bass up to 15". But, uh, I want to fish for everything
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lonely 10wt seeks big beautiful toothy fish...

Are you on the west slope or east..or up top?

I have a beautiful 10 wt that I got from DiverDan on this forum that will be going on its first salt water run next week.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I think I recall reading that Stagecoach Reservoir and Steamboat Lake have Pike, but you might call one of the fly shops in Steamboat Springs to be sure. I've never fished for them so I can't be sure.

Here are a couple of links to some information on Pike in Colorado: http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/coopun...utt_thesis.pdf

http://coloradoflyfishingreports.blo...ado-crash.html

Old 12-14-2011, 10:54 AM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

tbblom,

Being from Canada and fly fishing for pike quite regularly i can tell you a few things. One of them being for sub surface flies, get a 10' intermediate sinking tip. Gets your flies down just that little bit and aids in fishing the deeper 3-10' of water. In the spring, i wouldn't be focusing your efforts on any water that is deeper then 5'. They like sun bathe in the spring before spawn so they sit in shallow water to warm their bellies. Into the summer you should be focusing on 10-20' of water and you will be needing a sinking line for them. Fall should be a mix of deep and shallow water fishing.

Flies wise, I go by the "dark day, dark fly" thing, "bright day, bright fly" that usually where i start out, but if that doesn't work usually i experiment with something very flashy. But the best fun, is on sunrise, or sunset fishing top water mice, poppers and crease flies. Really big flies at that. Some unreal takes from those aggressive fish.

Oh and another thing, you can increase your hookup rate if you can master the strip set, pike have an extremely bony mouth and need that sharp pull to sting em. Even if you miss the take on the strip set, the fly is still right in front of the fish and you can continue the presentation, because if you didn't sting the fish the first time it attacked, it'll likely strike again.

Tight lines, have fun with the slew sharks, snot rockers or whatever you call em.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:04 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I'm on the East side, in Boulder,CO.
It looks like Spinney Mountain reservoir holds plenty of Pike, they even want anglers to harvest them in order to keep the trout numbers up.

I'm guessing that the best way is sight casting to a pike that has been found, but I assume one must blindly fish for them at depth near structure or ambush points also...
Old 12-14-2011, 07:27 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
It looks like Spinney Mountain reservoir holds plenty of Pike, they even want anglers to harvest them in order to keep the trout numbers up.
Sounds like a tough job, but somebody has to do it. No experience with Pike, but I'm always open to new things. Having caught some really large fish this year, I think I have a case of Big Fish-Itis. Good luck on your quest!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 PM

Well, sounds like pike are good eating too! Looks like I will be trying to harvest me some pike dinner next year.

Beer Batter, Pan-Fried Pike
Ingredients

• 2lbs Northern fillets
• 1lb. bleached flour
• 1lb. corn meal
• 4tsp. salt
• 4 tsp. pepper
• 1 12 oz. can of beer
• 1 lb. lard or oil

Preheat lard or oil.

Combine flour, corn meal, salt, pepper, and beer to make batter. Then wash fillets under cold water, and pat dry with paper towel. Dip each fillet into the batter and carefully submerge in the hot oil. Using tongs, remove when golden brown.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I did a week on the Boundary Waters between Minnesota and Canada on a float trip. Some mornings we would catch fish and fillet them for breakfast (paddling gear and food around for a week isn't that bad, but portaging it is no fun). I can vouch for fresh pike being very tasty. As far as catching them, they seem to be very partial to a speedy, jittery retrieve and are quite prone to get-out-of-my-face antagonistic strikes. As soon as the fly hits the water be prepared for an aggressive strike. In fact, sometimes a "bad" cast where the fly smacks the water is just what you need for enticing a pike, but I'm going to have to defer here to the likes of more accomplished pike-catchers (like DiverDan!).

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

ttblom, I grew up in Colorado. I had relatives in Boulder. There isn't a real good Pike spot around there as far as I know, but they have been spread around a lot since I left. There are some good places down by Ft. Collins. I don't know if you can still get into Carbody lake there but it had a lot of them and some were fairly big. Some places like 11 Mile res. and Blue Mesa have them also but are not that close to Boulder.

I generally don't use a sinking line. Weed lines are great for smaller Pike, Big Pike go deeper as the water warms up. If you have rock reefs mid lake in Spiney they will go up on top in the warmer weather. Generally they will be the bigger fish to. Do you have a closed season for Pike there? Because if you don't, I have a couple of tips that will help you get a big one.

Also, in the fall as the water cools off the bigger ones will come back shallow again.

I'm going to PM you my number. If you want, I can help you out a bit on the phone. PM me back and let me know what's a good time to do it.
Dan

P.S. The best Pike fly I ever used;
Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Dan, I might steal that fly pattern when I head to Sweden this summer, I've been told there are some good pike in the waters near where I do my work. I assume they also work for musky, which I'd like to pursue in Buffalo?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...