The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Forum Get together AGAIN Kentucky

Well I had the oppertunity to fish my home waters with Gatortransplant for the second time now and this time was much more succesful. If some of you remember we met up just before the weather starting getting colder but only had about an hour of daylight to fish. This time at Otter Creek near Ft. Knox KY we had a full days worth of fishing for rainbows. I got to the park at 7am as we planned it was really foggy and dark yet. I found out shortly that AJ would be late ( ill let him explain) so I hit the water. Wasnt long AJ made it and the real fishing comenced. I wont get into to much rambling but AJ found out from the basspro in Louisville about a fly pattern that works really good in the creek so We both tried it and it worked great. We both caught a dozen rainbows or more, and missed two dozon more.. I had a huge strike from an unknown monster that came off the line. , AJ got a hit from the moster too I think. I even caught a smallie, cool surprise. all in all a great day on the water and look forward to sharing the waters with AJ and anyone else from the forum in the future. Now for the pics!( used old point and shoot in stead of my slr to save bulk but its proof!)

Click the image to open in full size.

I think AJ will add his photos also.

MIke
Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Forum Get together AGAIN Kentucky

Alright, I'll jump in and add photos! First of all, like Mike said, definitely a more successful outing than the last time, with quite a few fish caught, including Mike's smallie, which I would say was the highlight. Certainly it would have been nice if either of us landed the big head-shaker we both hooked into, but it was quite adept at throwing hooks. As you can see from Mike's photos, access was very convenient, but despite that, there were not a whole lot of fishermen there, which was nice. However, there was one run occupied all day by a particular, apparently successful, fisherman that I might return to to check out, it looked very promising (the fisherman was landing a fish every time I looked his way). As far as fly selection, the local Bass Pro fly shop suggested a small marabou jig in black and yellow which ended up taking the first fish of the day, and within the first few casts as well. I used it as a dropper under a clown egg pattern after seeing a guy catch a fish on a clown egg and nymph double set as I arrived. My second fish swallowed the clown egg so it seemed both flies were working (though with the number of fish caught on a variety of flies, they may have just been hungry).

The most successful fly, however, seemed to be a black double-bead stone fly:
This fly was getting attention almost every cast. Here's a bow which decided to chow on the fly, you can still see the fly in its bottom jaw:
Fish would even chase the fly as I was dragging it back toward me to cast again. Watching fish dart out of the shadows was quite fun, and I was worried that I might watch a fish fly forward along with my forward cast...
Unfortunately I only tied two, since it was a pattern I tied up out of curiosity after reading the latest Fly Tyer magazine. A dozen of these will be going in my box when I get back to the vise after catching up on schoolwork... 6x tippet and rocky bottoms do not go well together.
This is the run where Mike pulled the smallie out of, and many rainbows as well. Around the bend we had luck as well, though we originally went down there when the wind kicked up to get a bit of shelter:
We started the day, however, up here:
One fish in particular continued to rise in the edge of the pool to the center right. I had tied on a size 20 BWO, though I had yet to purchase floatant, and ran it past this fish a few times before wading across to meet up with Mike. The fish rose as my fly moved past and I believe I got my first dry fly rejection, which was exciting none the less! The fish hit the surface differently than the slow slurps it had been doing previously, a far more aggressive splashing rise this time. It was pretty neat. Unfortunately, I watched closely all day but did not see a hatch come off, and there were very few risers. The one area where the fish were really rising was occupied by another fisherman so we stuck to sub-surface patterns.

I will definitely be going back and fishing here when I get the chance after finishing my coursework, and hopefully get to meet up with Mike again before I head back to Buffalo for the next semester!

And this may be my favorite photo from the outing, it's easy to miss the fish (the same fish from before) hiding alongside the rod grip:

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Last edited by gatortransplant; 12-15-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great"stereo" report Mike & AJthanks for sharing.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

awsome write up AJ, you told it better then me. the reel and trout shots are epic, its crazy what a phone can do.. makes this slr shooter jealous. I may have another go next week, depends on the temps and the rain we get.
Mike
Old 12-15-2011, 07:55 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'll be back in Louisville after Christmas, we definitely have to get out there again!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'll be back in Louisville after Christmas, we definitely have to get out there again!
sounds like a plan. just let me know ahead when your gonna be around, if I know ahead I could probley get a day off if wednesday is no good. but I really like the wednesdays, with the park closed mon-tuesday the fish have some time to recover from sundays fishing. We can take the trail down river and try for smallies in the deeper holes too then hit the trout where we were on the way back.