The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 09:22 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help The New Guy

Roast,welcome to the site!!
I have spent many years fishing,the Bow,Oldman,The Sheep,the Highwood and many other's in your area.I suggest cutting your teeth on some of the smaller streams in the foothills.Two reason's for this.1-Most of the smaller streams are full of willing trout,not to say they are always easy but,even a absolute novice with only a 10' cast and 2 or 3 different pattern's,will catch many trout.2-Small streams are a great place to start due to the short cast's that are required.Big river's like the Bow are great fisheries,but due to it's size there are many other obstacles(some of them deadly)other than simply presenting your fly to the fish.Reading the current's and being able to reconize productive water as oppesed to non-fish holding water,is a lesson much easier learned on small mountian streams.
All you will need to get started on the upper oldman(above the dam) or any other streams in the area,is a 4-6 weight rod,floating line,a 9'tapered leader(5x),a bottle of Ginx or simular fly floatant,a few nymphs sz 12-16(bead heads work well on small streams because they get down to the fish fast)a few dry flies,pick up a half dozen hoppers for this time of year,and a couple of olive wolley buggers and 1 or 2 egg sucking leeches(for the big bulls).
Hope this helps,and if you want some more info drop me a msg and I can point you to some great near by waters.
fuxfish@yahoo.ca
Aaron
Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post

Where are you going to be fishing in the Bristol Bay area? You are in for a treat especially if it is your first trip.
Hi Frank... I always appreciate your post here. I am trying to stay low key as a newbie.

My Dad, myself and my son are heading to Bristol Bay Sportsfishing Lodge. We apparently fly in to the lodge at Iliamna Lake and then fly out to fish. I chose this lodge because the owners live nearby in Grants Pass and guide here locally in the winter, but heck that is as good a reason as any. I have only been to Alaska once before, again in a lodge run by a local family, but we fished for salmon off of boats. This time we will be fly fishing for trout and salmon, but my Dad insist on bringing his trusty spinning gear. Should be interesting.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi OregonStreams,

That sounds like a great trip. I spent some time fishing around Iliamna and you will be at a good location. You will have access to the Copper, Gibraltor and Kvichak rivers with jet boats. Not a long flight over to Katmai and all the great fishing it offers. Being at a fly out lodge gives you access to the best water every day.

In July when the salmon start up the Newhalen we use to land at the Iliamna Airport and hike down to the river. The WEB site for your lodge says they have jet boats and are on a spit. I think I know right where that is. The jet boats will be handy if you can't fly. I hope they offer you a chance at the Copper. There use to be some good dry fishing for trout over there. It is across the lake from your lodge.

We use to have a communications site up on the ridge down closer to the mouth of the Kvichak. There is a little island just off shore. You will probable see the landing strip during your travels.

Looking forward to a great trip report.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:39 PM

Roast is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for your help! Special thanks to Aaron for providing me with some local advice on fishing areas. Having been out a few times, I have some more questions (I'm not sure if these should be seperate threads)

1. When casting, my fly is not usually the first thing to hit the water. Instead the fly line or the leader (or both) hit the water before the fly. What is going wrong? Any suggestions?

2. My last outing I had a couple of bites, however I couldn't hook the fish. I read the beginners 101 article 'how to hook 'em' as suggested but I am looking for further clarification. Currently I am fishing a small pond, how does hooking them in a pond differ from a river/stream?

Thanks everyone for your help, this site is truly a great resource!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Roast,

1. When casting, my fly is not usually the first thing to hit the water. Instead the fly line or the leader (or both) hit the water before the fly. What is going wrong? Any suggestions?

Well the best thing is you are out there trying. It takes some practice and some knowledge. Getting the knowledge is the hardest part. The very best thing you could do is buy a casting video. It will cut your learning curve way, way down. You might be able to locate a fly shop that gives free casting lessons. You could also join the local chapter of Trout Unlimited. They will have someone to help you out.

There are a couple of reasons your line/leader is hitting first. You may be under-powering your forward cast and it is collapsing onto the water before it un-rolls. You could also have out too much line and don't have the skill to cast it. Another problem could be you are extending your forward cast too far forward and throwing the line into the water. Your forward cast should be aimed straight out or slightly up. Don't aim the cast down towards the water.

2. My last outing I had a couple of bites, however I couldn't hook the fish. I read the beginners 101 article 'how to hook 'em' as suggested but I am looking for further clarification. Currently I am fishing a small pond, how does hooking them in a pond differ from a river/stream?

The hooking process is about the same in a pond as it is in a river. You can get a little assist by the currant in a river. Missing strikes are usually a problem of striking too soon or too late. You will have to experiment to see what is your problem. Fly fishing is a learned process and you need to go over everything in your mind as you get takes. Think about how you were moving or not moving the fly and what happened when you set the hook. Fish will expel the fly quickly and you need to be on your game. I always miss a few takes at the beginning of the season until I get back into the grove. If you can see the fish take the fly sometimes people will strike early in anticipation of the strike. In those cases you have to slow down you strike. If the fish has taken the fly and has moved on by the time you realized you have a take, you need to speed up your strike.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

You could try using a strip strike to set the hook instead of swinging the rod. This is done by performing a forceful strip with your non-rod hand to set the hook into the fish's mouth.

I also would make sure your hook is sharp. The point should be sharp enough to stick into your fingernail as you slide it along it at an angle.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:51 PM

Neptune is on a distinguished road

Adding to the "new guy" theme I was wondering if I want to practice casting on land do I need anything else other than rod, reel, and line?

Obviously very new to this.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Hi Neptune,

Welcome to the forum.

When you practice you need to have a leader of the length you fish with and a fly. The fly should have the hook broken off at the bend. You don't want to hook your self. Practicing on the grass is good but practicing on water is even better. You can't practice the roll-cast on the grass.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:12 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Adding to the "new guy" theme I was wondering if I want to practice casting on land do I need anything else other than rod, reel, and line?
Neptune.... You can certainly practice "false casting" on the grass which is a very useful technique when you want to dry out a dry fly. You can also learn how to hesistate on the back cast for a second letting the rod load up before moving forward. You will also learn how avoid hitting your rod tip with the fly.

As Frank says there is an advantage to practicing on the water. Without the water, I think it is hard to see how the fly lands. When you get out on the water I would start with a easy to see dry fly and watch how it lands on the water and how far it goes beyond the end of the fly line. I usually need to hold some extra line in my left hand and release this extra line on the final cast to avoid any "snap back." In the real world I get lazy and let the river do most of the work. I let the fly drift downriver and when the line gets tight and loads my rod, I just lift the fly out of the water and send it upstream.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:40 PM

Roast is on a distinguished road

Update: Today I caught my first fish on a fly rod (Actually I caught one goldeye and one rainbow)!!! Wow it was great day!! One of the locals who use to run a fish shop in town told me of a great spot on the red deer river (he also gave me a three hour casting lesson yesterday... what a difference instruction makes). They were both super small, but they sure were fun to catch! I think I am hooked...