The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 06:26 PM

Roast is on a distinguished road
Default Help The New Guy

Hello Everyone! I am just getting started in the sport of fly fishing. After a lot of research through the internet, I just pick up my first fly rod and reel. I decided on a TFO 8'6" 5 wt signature fly rod and an okuma slv reel. I live about 1.5 hours away from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and have heard great things about TFO though this site as well as others.

I am looking for suggestions on other fly fishing resources/websites where I can learn more about the sport. So far I have found this fourm, sexyloops and a site called hooked on flies. Are there any others that you can suggest?

I will be primarily fishing trout on the Old Man, Bow and Red Deer Rivers (Southern Alberta and British Columbia). I am looking for information on what types of flies you use with floating versus sinking line. I went with a floating line and am looking to buy another spool with sinking line. Can you use any fly with floating line? Or are there certain flies that work best with floating versus sinking line? So far I haven't found any info on the net... I am looking for generalizations if there are such things.

Any information is greatly appreciated
Old 07-08-2007, 09:02 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help The New Guy

Roast... It is possible to fish using only floating line. It is even possible to add a sinking tip to the end of your floating line. Dry flies work much better with floating line. When I try to teach someone how to fly fish I start with floating line and a very visible fly such as a royal wulff or bucktail coachman. IMHO, it really helps to see the fly when you are learning and if you accidently hook a fish on a dry fly you will be addicted!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Roast, You have gotten good advice that any fly can be fished using a floating line. However, this is not to say that any fly, attached to a floating line via a tapered leader will catch you fish. The fly needs to be placed where the fish are eating, and this is where our sport gets much more complex.

I would venture to say that most of us use a floating line for 90% of our trout fishing in moving water. This is because they allow you to fish depths from 0-8 feet and are much more practical in moving water than a sinking line that ends up getting stepped on and tangled on underwater debris.

In your part of the world, I can think of 2 situations where a sinking line would be nearly required: Salmon or Steelhead, and fishing Stillwaters. Those are really another topic altogether though, so let us know via a new post when you want to leap from that diving board.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I am looking for suggestions on other fly fishing resources/websites where I can learn more about the sport. So far I have found this fourm, sexyloops and a site called hooked on flies. Are there any others that you can suggest?

Hi Roast,

You have found the best fly fishing forum on the net. All you have to do is ask questions. There are enough people here that there is not much you can ask that somebody can't help you. It sound like you would benefit from a good book on fly fishing tactics.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:46 PM

shocktrooper32 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the addiction that is fly fishing!

I could write you a lengthy essay on the topic, but rather than being my usual verbose self I will keep it brief:

* take at least 1 lesson or buy a good DVD on the basics, either will save you lots of frustration and lost fish......belive me, I learned by the school of hard knocks, If you choose the DVD route I recomend Lefty' s video"on fly casting" or Mel Kriegers, the escence of fly casting. I used these to teach my son, hes 9 and not a bad caster.

* Floating line is a must for getting started. There are dozens of types of lines, I use floting and sinking tip lines...you'll find they accomodate most types of fishing, Sinking lines are used for more specific species of fish in specific waters, for what you are fishing, floating is fine. Clean and condition your line often, it will perform and last longer. Dont skimp on your leaders either, RIO, Orvis, or Scientific Angler, all make good ones. Just remember, the higher the number, the lighter the leader.

Lastly, I ll leave you with this, there are thousands of web sites on Fly fishing, This is a great one. Ask lots of questions. This is a highly addictive passion and I find most anglers are enthusiastic about enlightening a "new guy" Also to be honest, I never met a fly fisherman I didnt like. Welcome!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:36 PM

fishfinder is on a distinguished road

There are lots of us new guys. My new Cabela combo just arrived today and I was out in the back yard practicing before the afternoon was over. I need a lot of work believe me. I have taken one casting class which was very helpful. I plan on joining the local Fly club when they start meeting again in September.

I have lots of questions about the various lines, leaders and flies. Most of my fishing in the beginning will be in lakes. I'm sure I will have to have some type of sinking line or tip to get the little bugger down there where the fish are. After I get more comfortable I probably invest in a saltwater rig so I can go after some of the Salmon / steelhead here in Washington State.

Like a lot of folks I have been a bait casting fisherman for years so this is a new arena for me.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Fishfinder... Welcome to the fly fishing addiction. The biggest trout I have caught so far was on a lake using clear tip sinking line pulling a wooly bugger while being rowed in a square bottom canoe! I was asleep at the switch and the fish pull an awful lot of line before I woke up I think that you can get the same kind of fly action in a float tube or rowing an inflatable pontoon boat.

I will be off to Bristol Bay Alaska next month, so maybe I can get one of those really really big ones on a fly.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:50 AM

mammothcracker is on a distinguished road

Roast, here is a site I came across not too long ago. The best beginner site I've come across so far. There is some good info on the site, basic, but helpful none the less. Good luck.
Fly Fishing "For Beginners - 101" FAOL
Old 07-10-2007, 01:52 AM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

I second the add on sink tip.. Rio i think makes a 12 foot tip with ends that you put on yourself... that part is a pain.. but about 4-6 foot will make an execent starter add on sink tip.. youll need to leave enough room on the end of the reel to put it on, you dont need another spool, just put it on your dry line that you have, and take it off and putt in you kit/vest when not using it.. You can make a 4 foot and 8 foot sink tip out of the 12 foot line, but 8 foot would be too heavy for the 5 wt.. I have a 6 wt tfo pro that i use for backup when im having trouble or repairs with my z axis 6 wt.. It works just fine,.... dave..
Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I will be off to Bristol Bay Alaska next month, so maybe I can get one of those really really big ones on a fly.

Hi OregonStreams,

Where are you going to be fishing in the Bristol Bay area? You are in for a treat especially if it is your first trip.