The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Is commercial salmon fishing soon to be a thing of the past?

I just read a research paper that indicated that sockeye salmon eggs from the Frasier River, BC, contained Dioxin among other nasty things. Will it be long before we won't be able to eat ocean salmon?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is commercial salmon fishing soon to be a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
I just read a research paper that indicated that sockeye salmon eggs from the Frasier River, BC, contained Dioxin among other nasty things. Will it be long before we won't be able to eat ocean salmon?
Dioxin is a by product of paper mills. It has no safe level. Side effects are various odd cancers like brain, glands, etc. Some bad side effects like sterilty, birth defects and if I remember right men can develop breasts. It can last in your body if you are unfortunate to be eating it as long as 11 years.

I would think the source is upstream and not the Ocean. Size and current wise it's not the likely source. We have three paper mills upriver of here. 2 on the Canadian side. They used to have 'accidental' spills on a fairly often basis. One that bleached the paint on the bottom of a new Lund boat belonging to a guy I know. The Sturgeon I caught for the rest of the summer all had irritations around the scutes.

Dioxin is a seriously bad chemical. I doubt however it is going to effect the Ocean Salmon or the commercial industry. I would avoid eating big fish, fatty fish, old fish, or bottom feeders from there. (That River) Those end up with seriously higher levels. Sturgeon are a good example of the 'don't eat' list. Because they are essentially the whole list, they also show the signs of Dioxin pollution better than most fish. I'll fix and load a photo I have to someplace so I can post it.

OK here it is. Take a close look at the fin on this Sturgeon. Tell me what you see. I have mentioned in a couple of other threads that there are a few out abusing science and environmentalism, to the detriment of real issues. This is a fine example of a real issue.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-15-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Add text and photo
Old 12-18-2011, 09:57 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Tell me what you see.
I've never seen a sturgeon, so I will guess. It looks like it is growing another fin to me.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

As you said, Dioxin has no safe level. So how many years do salmon spend in the river below the paper mill?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I will guess. It looks like it is growing another fin to me.
Good guess. It's a fin with an opposable finny thumb. This what irritates me about some of the 'environmentalist' stuff around. They make mountains out of mole hills over things for political reasons, some of which cause real environmental problems in part or whole over their insane BS. Then they set there and ignore real problems. I actually am starting to become angry over some of the stupidity in some of the "eco" crowd. It'd be nice if they actually did something eco instead of psuedo eco/political.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
As you said, Dioxin has no safe level. So how many years do salmon spend in the river below the paper mill?
I'm not sure. The thing about the dioxin in the Salmon is, they don't say how much. Thanks to the half life of the stuff, and the easy way it's spread around, there is hardly anything alive without some level now. Including us. Me probably more than you because I have a number of upstream sources here. I'd like to see the paper where they tested these fish.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:57 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Google Dioxin+fish contamination. Some very interesting reads; appears pulp mills are the major culprit.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Good guess. It's a fin with an opposable finny thumb. This what irritates me about some of the 'environmentalist' stuff around. They make mountains out of mole hills over things for political reasons, some of which cause real environmental problems in part or whole over their insane BS. Then they set there and ignore real problems. I actually am starting to become angry over some of the stupidity in some of the "eco" crowd. It'd be nice if they actually did something eco instead of psuedo eco/political.

I'm not sure. The thing about the dioxin in the Salmon is, they don't say how much. Thanks to the half life of the stuff, and the easy way it's spread around, there is hardly anything alive without some level now. Including us. Me probably more than you because I have a number of upstream sources here. I'd like to see the paper where they tested these fish.
Here is one paper.
PCBs, Dioxins, and Pesticides in Farmed Salmon from Maine and Eastern Canada