The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 03:14 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Which Sharkskin for a Scott S4?

Just wondering of those that might know, what's the appropriate grain for an s4 4wt. Fast action, but soft tip. UT WF, GPX, or UT DT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Which Sharkskin for a Scott S4?

I'd say the GPX for a rod like the S4. If you want to overline it by 1/2 weight, or stick with the Ultimate taper.

Last edited by mojo; 12-16-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I had a s4 10 ft.4wt. That liked a gpx.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:36 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Not to hijack your thread hypo, but while on the topic of Sharkskin....

I was in a store today looking for some new line for the new steelhead rod i anticipate having on the 25th. Just being prepared is all....lol

I wanted something good for it so i went looking for sharkskin. I was looking at the 7wt floating steelhead taper. Then i saw the price...

That is some pricey stuff.

That got me thinking, i dont really know much about SA Skarkskin beyond the marketing. Is it that good? Will i notice a difference between that and the $70 RIO Gold i brought home instead?

Anyone have any reviews of the stuff?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Not to hijack your thread hypo, but while on the topic of Sharkskin....

I was in a store today looking for some new line for the new steelhead rod i anticipate having on the 25th. Just being prepared is all....lol

I wanted something good for it so i went looking for sharkskin. I was looking at the 7wt floating steelhead taper. Then i saw the price...

That got me thinking, i dont really know much about SA Skarkskin beyond the marketing. Is it that good? Will i notice a difference between that and the $70 RIO Gold i brought home instead?

Anyone have any reviews of the stuff?
I'm not impressed with it. It was designed to shoot and travel through the guides better. The downside is it's rough on the hands, expensive. IMO it wasn't impressive enough to overcome those two issues. I sold mine on Ebay after 2 weeks of fishing it.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Vans, Sharkskin is my main floating line. It can be hard on the fingers. I was using it everyday for a week, stripping and cast (by the way, the Trout line on my Hardy Test is unbelievable). I was also fishing 5 to 8 hours a day. I ended up with a small cut on my stripping finger. (note: they do sell finger socks for this) But, any wet line on cold hands would have taken it's toll.

Does it make a difference? I mentioned in an earlier post about rods that I let a total newbie cast my rod loaded with SS after using a rod loaded with another brand. She cast 10' farther without even trying. She noticed the difference right away.
Line does depend on the caster, but I know I have no problem at all sailing that stuff right wher I want it with ease and that is what everyone should want.

I agree with the GPX. Itr really shoots even in the wind and is great if you want to use heavier, bigger flies. Yet still delicate to land a tiny dry.

I have been using SS now for three years. Many other lines I have had to replace after 2 years. I do fish a lot and year round as well.

This is just a reveiw from someone that uses it and yes I have Gold, Windcutter II, Selective Trout, Ridgeline, Superfine, Wonderline, Accelerator, Wulff, but the SS is my favorite.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Thanks Joni and swirl. I appreciate the input.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:13 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Not sure if this is an option but see if a shop can let you test both tappers. It also depends on what type of water you'll be fishing. I've casted the SS WF on the S4 and it felt OK but I'd bet the GPX is a better fit. After casting the SS WF S4 I was curious to know how it would perform with the GPX....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Then i saw the price...
Yes it's expensive but you can get it cheaper if you're patient. I got the SS on a online sale for $60 earlier this year and I also just picked up the new SA Textured for $40 from a local classified ad. A little work and patience pays....

Good luck
Old 12-17-2011, 05:11 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

My major issue with it is the noise. I just couldn't get over how noisy the Sharkskin is, and ultimately gave up on it. The feel in your hands is also very different, even without injuries...

And as others have mentioned, it's expensive!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by colotrout View Post
My major issue with it is the noise. I just couldn't get over how noisy the Sharkskin is, and ultimately gave up on it. The feel in your hands is also very different, even without injuries...

And as others have mentioned, it's expensive!
So what's so noisey about it? I could never figure out that. I can't figure out how it would bother someone either.