The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough
Default how is casting distance measured?....

i don't know how far i can cast... i also know i can't shoot all my line out...

so is it measured from where i'm standing to where the line ends or from the tip of the rod to where the line ends?

some friends and i were talking about casting and they were saying numbers like 70 feet. 60 feet.

and one guy said 85 feet which got me thinking "isn't that the whole line right there or pretty close? since most lines are about 30 yards?"....

anyway, i couldn't come up with a number for them. i guess i've never really thought about it. but now i'm curious.

time to get out my range finder when i go fishing.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:07 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: how is casting distance measured?....

Measure from the tip of your toe (toe the line) to the yarn fly.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:22 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I brought back Ards thread on how far can you cast, interesting read.

With my limited casting distance after fly fishing for one year, I firmly believe that anyone who says they can cast over 80 feet is counting the back stroke...

Dave
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I brought back Ards thread on how far can you cast, interesting read.

With my limited casting distance after fly fishing for one year, I firmly believe that anyone who says they can cast over 80 feet is counting the back stroke...

Dave
It's timing Dave.
And a good double haul.
And line to match your rod.

This was an 80' cast with a McFarland 5w parabolic glass rod and Sharkskin line.
Click the image to open in full size.
Letting the rod do the work. You can see the 100' tape towards the bottom of the picture.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Allan,

I love the bend in that rod! I get longer cast with less effort out of a full - medium action rod than the fast graphite sticks. Nice picture here, it really shows the rod providing the energy and not the man so much.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-18-2011, 06:14 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Same method I use!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:55 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Yup!

Pocono
Old 12-18-2011, 08:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

..... and I've always thought that the measure of a good cast was whether or not you fooled a fish.
What was I thinking!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Mojo,

Of all the rods ever made, the one I have most wanted to try since first hearing of them is a Paul Young Parabolic.

I would probably have to bring a wheelbarrow full of Franklins though as surety before an owner of one would let me put my paws on it.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM

canonman is on a distinguished road

I measure by using what ever is laid out past the rod tip using the fly line (90 ft in most) as a judging point.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

By the way... I was throwing a 5 wt inside at one of the fly shows out of the pond at around 120' with ease and on target... outside in the real world I feel good if it goes 40' and hits the water sometimes!!!! Big difference