The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 12:42 PM

ghille_snowshoe is on a distinguished road
Default Year end organization , etc

For your fly boxes . How do you break down your fly boxes ? I know species and time of year . How about parts of the country or parts of a state ? Say a majority of the time you fish is in the smokies and then a vacation out west on a regular basis , for example . On your vacation you try out different parts of the state . Does this change what you put in your fly box ?
Old 12-17-2011, 02:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Year end organization , etc

Simple answer is that I don't really break them down. I have specific boxes for fishing spring creeks and localized patterns, pretty standard nymphs and midges that work darn near everywhere, boxes filled with GL Steel patterns all of these boxes have some streamer patterns in them, midge box being the exception.

My dry box has pretty standard patterns in there, Elk Hair Caddis, Adams, BWO, attractors like humpies, coachman, ants and trudes. I keep dries for the major hatches I fish separate. I just pick what boxes I need given the time of year and roll. I have one box that I keep for day trips to a local stream that I rotate stock on. I pick out what to throw in there a day or two before I plan on going or pull from other boxes when I get to the stream.

In the winter I go through the boxes and look at what I need, tie what I can and buy whatever else. I make a list of bugs I need to tie for myself and for my bud and then cross them off the list once complete. I also give my gear a pretty thorough cleaning. Rods, reels, lines, boots, jackets.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:23 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Since 99% of my fishing is for "panfish" (gills, green sunfish, bass, etc.) I keep the fly box simple. Drys on one side and wets (including nymphs) on the other.

This time of year is tough on the other decisions, though. Like today I was thinking I should sell a few rods and replace them with something more useful, (for example the 3wt Ross Essence FS I only used a couple times since I bought it) but then I think it may be a better idea to keep it as a backup in case I ever damage my other 3wt.

Already have a new 5wt on order (inexpensive "RiverBeast") since I decided another 5wt is needed in my rack, and have a new reel/line waiting on its arrival.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:38 PM

ghille_snowshoe is on a distinguished road

I'm also trying to keep it simple . I finally narrow it down to Umpqua Professional guide fly boxes . Might take a look at the Scientific angler boxes as my main box. I really like the ability to switch out the flies i need and don't need .
Old 12-17-2011, 05:47 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Organi...Organo... What the heck is that? Seriously, There are five or six boxes in my vest and they all always go with me. I may tie something specific for a particular destination, then I have another box for that. I trade the vest for a chest pack for steelhead so that box is separate. Salt water and bass boxes are different too and don't usually go in the vest either. That's as organized as I get.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey