The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM

pierce652 is on a distinguished road
Default Getting ready for the big trip

We leave next wednesday for Cape Breton Nova Scotia to visit the in laws. The upside to this trip is the condition that if we go I am able to fish whenever and as much as I want. Not that I have anything against the in laws but we werent supposed to venture north this year.

Ive been in contact with a friends dad who fishes every morning before heading to work at the local single malt whiskey distillery (big bonus there) and he's agreed to show me all the good spots. Now Im just checking gear, making sure I have enough of everything and debating about what rods to take. Ive contacted the local shop regarding licenses...Man, now I know how my wife felt planning our wedding...

Think Im just going to take the basic trout rod and a salt rig. Planning on fishing the Margaree and the Cheticamp rivers...will probably only get a license for trout this year, maybe salmon next year...one week licenses are expensive!!! My mother in law's home is a 3 minute walk to the salt and there is a nice tributary which flows in, so I will probably give that a go too.

I really wish I knew what flies worked well up there. Im not great at nymphing so I think I will stick mostly to streamers, wets and dries.

Hopefully I will have at least one good picture to share upon my return. God knows Ive been jonesing to get out since the temp here in CT. bumped into the 90's.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting ready for the big trip

Sounds like a great trip! I can't say what all flies will be sucessful, but I imagine those used in northern atlantic tributaries would be a good start. I'd probably throw some size 4 clousers in sky blue and white on an intermediate or sink tip line. Maybe some unweighted baitfish patterns on a teeny type line too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting ready for the big trip

Drop me a Pm and let me know where you are fishing and what you plan on bringing for a outfit,I am from the area and can help to make your trip a success
Tight Lines
Aaron