The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 09:52 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is this guy using?

Whodda thunk it? Korea as a fly fishing tourist destination!
That video got me charged up alright. The only time I've seen gulpers like that was at Hebgen and in the pond out back when the grass clippings get thrown in from the riding mowers. It drives the grass carp in there nuts!
Great video! What I wouldn't give to have that sort of action around here!

On another note, slack cost the guy with the cowboy hat on a number of fish in the first parts of that video. By the end it looks like he caught on to his hook-up problem.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Just don't seem right - fishing for a fish with a bread fly.

Course, I got a fish on my bucket list you need an algae glob fly to fish with. But at least it's supposed to resemble 100% natural ocean grown globs of algae and not something made in a bakery intended for a good ham sandwich.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Just don't seem right - fishing for a fish with a bread fly.

Course, I got a fish on my bucket list you need an algae glob fly to fish with. But at least it's supposed to resemble 100% natural ocean grown globs of algae and not something made in a bakery intended for a good ham sandwich.
Mullet?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Whodda thunk it? Korea as a fly fishing tourist destination!
Ummm... After this morning's news, any trips anywhere Korea are "on-hold", at least for me! It's strange how fishing always seems to transcend politics. I've talked to a number of vets who managed to find a way to wet a line, even while wearing BDU's & a flack-jacket.

Anyway, this is a great thread. Korea is somewhere that I would never have thought of as a fishing haven, and carp certainly not a game fish that I would have pursued, but it's great when something like this opens your eyes to something different!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
Hi guys, just got back from a day out in Seoul. Stopped by the River Fly Shop which is ran by a one of the local guides. Described the video and he pulled it up on his computer quickly. He knows the guy in the video and where he was fishing. I asked him what fly he was using and he said, "bread". He went on to say that people feed these carp bread so the carp FF guys use flies that resemble pieces of bread. Makes sense. He quickly obliged me by tying a couple of the "Bread" flies. See below.
The Master
Pretty strange but it makes complete sense to tie flies that resemble the bread hatch.

Anyways, it was a great day in Korea and me and my daughter had a great lunch.
Click the image to open in full size.
I caught my first Carp on a "bread" fly! About 5 years ago I took the kids to a horse ranch for a week. There were Bass and HUGE Carp on the lake that the kids fed bread all day long. I had a great time catching Bass but kept seeing these huge Carp cruising along. I threw everything I had in my flybox with no luck. I finally stripped an old fly, got some sewing thread from the front desk and tied a cigarette filter to the hook and the next morning I caught my first Carp.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dan,

No. Milkfish. They look a lot like bones but get 4 or 5 feet long. It's a Southern Pacific specie.

Last edited by wjc; 12-19-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:15 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I finally stripped an old fly, got some sewing thread from the front desk and tied a cigarette filter to the hook and the next morning I caught my first Carp.
The Sturgeon General says that smoking is dangerous to the Health of ALL fish!

Click the image to open in full size.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
I know but desperate times call for desperate measures! It's all I had to work with. If I had known about the flip-flip fly back then someone at the pool would have lost a shoe...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

At one of the FF expos I went to here one of the luminaries on the bill told a story about how the hotel where he stayed every year on the circuit had a pond with huge carp, but he'd never been able to hook any. He happened to be out by the pond while it was being mowed and saw the carp eating the clippings blowing on to the surface. Went back to his room and tied a "grass fly" from a green scrub pad and, Wa Lah, started catching carp.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 12-19-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote: