The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 07:52 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default What is this guy using?

What kind of fly is this guy using? After watching this video I am going to try this if I can ever figure out what they are feeding on!

Old 12-17-2011, 08:53 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is this guy using?

My guess is it's a Milweed Seed or a Cottonwood seed fly.

I had someone give me one a couple nights ago that he makes using white egg yarn. He says they work great.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:54 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

That's Carp fly fishing here in Korea. These guys do it mostly in Han River tributaries around Seoul. I'm going out in town today and will stop by the local fly shop and ask. Although they may not be open today because it's salmon season and they're out getting some.
You can also go here and keep looking. carp fly.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:24 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Carp will also take your basic olive wooly bugger in a size 10 (and other sizes too). Just make sure it sinks to the bottom, then as the carp approaches, twitch the fly ever so slightly so it kicks up a puff of silt. I've watched several carp fight to make it to a fly doing this. I've caught carp in a variety of sizes, all of which were interested in dark-colored buggers worked on the bottom veeeeeery slowly

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
That's Carp fly fishing here in Korea. . carp fly.
I looked at this guys web site. He's in Korea also. He may have flies on there;
Hahaha, just went to post the link and it's the same one Ibbes posted. I don't read Korean,so if he has flies on there I xouldn't find them.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I have caught them by throwing streamers in front of a pod of them working along the bottom in shallow water. They suck up the fly but those vacuum cleaner mouths would suck up anything that got in their way so I never considered it fishing. The dry fly thing is another thing altogether!
I have seen them coming to the surface in a lake near here but I have no idea what they are feeding on. Maybe cottonwood seeds, etc.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have caught them on a Midnight Fire/Captain America bugger, Brown buggers, Pink with grizzly hackle and white tail. Yellow also. EGGS (glow bugs) in red and orange and yellow.
Also on Haresears, and Prince Nymphs.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Hi guys, just got back from a day out in Seoul. Stopped by the River Fly Shop which is ran by a one of the local guides. Described the video and he pulled it up on his computer quickly. He knows the guy in the video and where he was fishing. I asked him what fly he was using and he said, "bread". He went on to say that people feed these carp bread so the carp FF guys use flies that resemble pieces of bread. Makes sense. He quickly obliged me by tying a couple of the "Bread" flies. See below.
The Master
Click the image to open in full size.

The Bread Flies

Pretty strange but it makes complete sense to tie flies that resemble the bread hatch.

Anyways, it was a great day in Korea and me and my daughter had a great lunch.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:46 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Wow! Prior to that, I had always judged the carp to be a filthy "sewer" fish.... That looked like fun. Learn something new every day!!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-18-2011, 02:53 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Try to catch the current episode of Fly Fishing The World on Sportsman Channel, it's Michigan Carp, with a side of smallmouth. milt.