The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default How did you get "hooked" on flyfishing?

My father only fly fished because atlantic salmon were fly fishing only; I'm glad they were because that's how I got introduced to the sport as a kid. The salmon stocks declined drastically in the 70's and early 80's causing Dad to quit fishing and because he was my only means of accessing the pools, I quit by default. Now in my forties with my kids grown and (somewhat) gone I have re-discovered the sport and truly love it.
I've tried to introduce a few good friends to fly fishing but it seems it takes a certain mind-set for someone to take to it. Even buying a starter outfit for my best friend isn't enough to loosen his grip on the spincast!

I'd like to hear what led you to get into fly fishing. -John
Old 12-18-2011, 02:10 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: How did you get "hooked" on flyfishing?

It was the challenge. Fishing with bait got old real quick after I started fishing for trout.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:14 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

cool idea. for me it was 5 + years of not fishing much at all, then watching videos like these. the rest as they say is an addiction.

coming to the end of my first season of FFing and its all I wanna do.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up a spin fisherman thanks to my father and grandfather. They typically took me to lakes, ponds, rivers and on occasion streams. They weren't much for fishing streams though. As I got older, I somehow developed a love of trout fishing and met my best friend at a golf club that we worked at. Thanks where my trout fishing passion and skills started to grow profoundly. I got to a point where I considered myself a pretty good fisherman, but my AHHHH-HAAAA moment came a few years later.

I was fishing a stream nearby that I no longer fish due to the heavy traffic it gets and was striking out using all of my old standbys. Nothing I threw on could muster a trout. No grubs, none of my lures, nothing. Not even a strike. I was about to give up for the morning and looked downstream only to notice a guy fly fishing. He was hooking up and catching fish frequently. I watched him for a while there in the stream, but decided to get a little closer while making sure to give him space. I sat under a tree by the stream and watched him fishing dries for well over an hour. We never spoke, but it was at this moment I knew that I had to try fly fishing.

I ran out and got myself a cheapie starter set from Kmart and then it began. I didn't know anyone else who fly fished so I couldn't really learn from anyone first hand. I gave it a try and found occasional success, mostly though I was going home without catching a single fish. A year or so later, I decided to pay for a lesson and the rest is history. I learned so much in that one day. When I went out after that lesson, I found that I was now able to catch fish! Not only did I get solid instruction, but I also picked up another hobby. Tying! The guide that took me out provided me with known patterns, but in his own color choices. Given the success I had that day on them, I knew I had to start tying. That guide cost me a lot of $$ over the years. No regrets.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:31 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I got hooked on fly fishing while practicing on a day that was to windy...

I have been fishing since the age of 5, never was a hard core fisherman though. Taking a nap along the river bank, following a game trail or watching the wildlife was always an integral part of my fishing experience. Going into my fifties I was just burnt out of spin and crank bait fishing. So I picked up a fly rod last winter and it was like learning to fish all over again and have still not lost my enthusiasm for the sport.

Dave
Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

My father was not much of an outdoorsman (his father was, though). He did what he could do to get me out fishing as a kid (spin, bait) and even, when I wanted to start bird hunting at age 14, found some of his colleagues to take me out. More than him, my mom did a lot to foster a love of birds and the outdoors.

Fast forward past my teens: I'm a motorhead, finally having my own shop restoring mostly Ferrari and Rolls Royce automobiles. For a few years, all is well. Then I find myself going down to the Niagara River and sitting on a breakwall, mostly just drifting bait and thinking. and thinking. Finally, I decided three things (and I wish I was the type to keep a journal to see how I came to these decisions): 1. I would start college all over again and go all the way through to a Ph.D. specifically related to ruffed grouse. 2. I would become a grouse hunter that also raised and trained english setters. 3. I would become a fly fisherman. I was 27.

I accomplished all three.

Gary
Old 12-18-2011, 03:57 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Jaybo...cool memory

-Mike
Old 12-18-2011, 04:12 PM

hunt247 is on a distinguished road

2 of my good friends got me into it this spring, love it now!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:00 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

It didn't happen fast.
When I was a young man I helped an elderly gentleman out of the river after he had to cut away his waders. He showed me how to fly cast. Too difficult.
10 years later.
I see an angler fly casting in the upper Umpqua (ff only area). It was a beautiful scene that I would think about once in awhile.
30 years later.
A new sports store opens in my town with a nice FF section. I said to the clerk that I wished that I knew how to fly fish. He said "me too". We learned together. I joined the local FF club where they taught me to "tie" and "cast" (maybe they'd rather not have anyone know where I learned to cast. j/k).
Old 12-18-2011, 05:25 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Gary, your story is my favorite, especially since the Niagara River is tied into my own beginnings. I fished for 20 years before switching to fly fishing, and always loved it. However, 1) I never liked how it felt casting ultralight tackle with a spinning set-up, and 2) I loved watching the fly fishermen targeting the steelhead on the Niagara river north of Buffalo. Previously I had been curious about fly fishing, but it wasn't until I learned about steelhead that I realized I had to start fly fishing. I picked up my first rod and reel and started chasing every species I could cast at. A month later I started tying. Granted I've o ly been at it for 3 months but I am hopelessly hooked!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...