The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 05:35 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default 9 weight line

My cortland bonefish line has been through hell in the past month (barnacles, rocks, clam, nails) and i need another line any recommendations? ive been considering the bermuda triangle taper and iv been considering sharkskin.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: 9 weight line

I really liked Rio's bonefish line, and i think it was Sage's (made by Rio) equator taper I liked as well. Done bonefishing, so sold 'em or would have given you more exact info.
Gary
Old 12-18-2011, 09:16 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I cast my vote for the SS.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

which sharkskin taper should i get
Old 12-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
which sharkskin taper should i get
Do you really want to shell out 100 beans for a sharkskin that will be ruined in a year?
That's not the way that I'd be spending my money if I were your age
Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 AM

i didnt know that shark skin ruined that quickly
riptide do you have any recommendations
Old 12-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm needing to replace my 9wt as well, and leaning towards the Mastery Textured Saltwater line from SA.

Its not extra heavy, or extra abrasive, and is designed to work well in both hot and less hot conditions.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:52 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i didnt know that shark skin ruined that quickly
riptide do you have any recommendations
You went through your current line in a month. What makes you think you won't do that again?
I use $9.50 factory second lines. They may not be for everyone, but they work fine for me. If you want I'll PM you how to get one.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm in the ballpark for an 8-9 weight intermediate sink tip line for saltwater, what sort of line depth are you looking at, Robert? For the gulf coast fishery I've been directed at intermediate sink tip for trout, reds, snook, etc.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm in the ballpark for an 8-9 weight intermediate sink tip line for saltwater, what sort of line depth are you looking at, Robert? For the gulf coast fishery I've been directed at intermediate sink tip for trout, reds, snook, etc.
Keep in mind that if you're wading, an intermediate line means a stripping basket is mandatory. If only the tip sinks and the rest floats, you've gotten around that issue.

I'm not wild about clear lines, because it can be harder to keep track of where your fly is. I'm also trying to fish water that's calf/knee deep, so I don't need a sinking line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.