The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Gas attack

OK, now I need help....
My boat's fuel tank vapor guard was left open sitting in the camper.
It tipped over, and dripped onto TWO steelhead fly boxes! $200-300 in time,at least, let alone burning and dyeing and hooks......
I know steelies won't eat them that way.
Barring a re-tye, (although I need the practice) what do you knowledgeable guys think I can do to remove the smell/taste? I have a trip coming up...
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but hope I'm the last..........

By the way, my C&F box held up to fuel. The cheap plastic box did not....

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-19-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas attack

I think they're toast Jim. Time to get the razor blade out.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-19-2011, 01:49 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest trying Dawn dish washing detergent. If it will satisfactorily clean a duck or sea otter and send them on their way, it may work for your streamers.

Dave
Old 12-19-2011, 01:54 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Bummer! Try these links:
Remove Gasoline Stains: Easy Tips for the Stain and the Odor

Cleaning | Stain Removal from Clothes Tip: Remove Gasoline Odor From Clothing

The can of Coke and baking powder combo seems to be popular. What do you have to loose beside a couple bucks?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:55 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I'm speaking as a chemist here. This might be a long shot, but if you soaked the whole box in a volatile organic solvent, such as alkanes, chloroform, or acetone (fingernail polish remover), the gas should partition into the solvent, and the whole mixture can be rinsed off with more solvent. The volatile solvent should then harmlessly evaporate.

In his book, Trout, Roy Bergman describes this method for cleaning dry flies in conjunction with dissolved candle wax to help buoyancy. He goes on to posit that organic chemicals actually have been observed to attract trout in some cases. So even if you can't get your flies squeaky clean, they may still work just fine.

Some safety concerns: Never mix volatile solvents with heat, heating elements, or flame. Don't open containers in closed spaces, and always have proper ventilation. Don't inhale or ingest the chemicals. Also, the chemicals Bergman recommends in his book are carcinogenic and not easily obtainable to the public.

When working with solvents, be familiar with the publicly available MSDS safety information. Google those terms if you're not familiar with them
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw the title of this thread I had visions of the chuckwagon scene in Blazing Saddles. Plain kitty litter might work well, especially if they are still wet. milt.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
I'm speaking as a chemist here. This might be a long shot, but if you soaked the whole box in a volatile organic solvent, such as alkanes, chloroform, or acetone (fingernail polish remover), the gas should partition into the solvent, and the whole mixture can be rinsed off with more solvent. The volatile solvent should then harmlessly evaporate.

In his book, Trout, Roy Bergman describes this method for cleaning dry flies in conjunction with dissolved candle wax to help buoyancy. He goes on to posit that organic chemicals actually have been observed to attract trout in some cases. So even if you can't get your flies squeaky clean, they may still work just fine.

Some safety concerns: Never mix volatile solvents with heat, heating elements, or flame. Don't open containers in closed spaces, and always have proper ventilation. Don't inhale or ingest the chemicals. Also, the chemicals Bergman recommends in his book are carcinogenic and not easily obtainable to the public.

When working with solvents, be familiar with the publicly available MSDS safety information. Google those terms if you're not familiar with them
I'd watch it with this approach, as a lot of these solvents will attack and dissolve the synthetic fibers in the flies themsleves.

You might be able to get away with Butane or some type of sscent-free lighter fluid. I want to say that Park Magic Sauce floatant is actually a wax emulsified in something akin to lighter fluid.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:17 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the immediate support, and pm's. This sort of thing is traumatic....
Dam near needed CPR. I realized you can't do that by yourself. (possible product idea?)
Fysh, so little faith! And is cutting up the best flies I've ever tyed, the insult, or the injury?
Mr. rush, your second paragraph helped, the third took all the fun out.
Catch cancer and/or get blown up....I've used up all my chloroform...
But I appreciated the info. I'm sure Mr. Bergman did his homework as well.
Thought by sharing, I might help prevent future catastrophes, even if it is embarrassing.
Besides, I can't be the first.....

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-19-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:56 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Big, try soaking them in reconstituted lemon juice; I use it to get the gas smell off my hands, can't hurt to try it...

Dan
Old 12-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Dan, do you think unreconstituted lemon will work? I have some of that, HA.
I'll try Dawn, with an astringent rinse.
Who knows, they might like a sour treat?
Maybe I should soak in fish oil (WD) to prevent against rust too....(Humor).