The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 06:24 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wright & McGill Co. Fly Girl Freshwater Fly Rod

I am wanting to buy my wife a fly rod for xmas so she can join me on the water. I am looking at the wright and mcgill fly girl freshwater. Does anybody have any experience with this rod?

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Also, I jsut came across the generation II S-Curve ladies fly rod, also by W&M. This rod comes in more size options. Opinions needed on this one also
Old 12-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wright & McGill Co. Fly Girl Freshwater Fly Rod

Name has been around for awhile. Not familiar with this line at all. What does
"limited warranty" mean?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Joni and the other women on the forum are better able to give an answer to my rhetorical question than I could but................. I don't think the rod should differ much whether it is used by a male or a female. I would not be happy if all fly rods were supposed for the exclusive use by women and I had to choose a rod from a very few manufacturers who marketed one called 'Flyboy' before I felt I had the right stick to fish with. Just say'n

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. No feedback on the Wright and McGill rig.

Here is another option.

Take a look at the Redington Classic Trout rods. The action is slower, so it is very forgiving to start out with. The grips of the rods seem a little smaller in diameter (at least to me) than grips on rods of the same rod/line weight category. A smaller grip is great for a smaller hand.

Pair the CT up with a Redington Drift reel. The outfit looks slick. Personally I think that the pewter colored reel looks better with the rod.

You can read up on the CT rod in the gear review forum. I wrote one on the 3 weight. Cliff wrote one on the 5 weight.

Dennis
Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I actually went ahead and ordered the S-Curve rod. I think the only thing that makes it a female rod is a smaller diameter handle and the color of the rod is dark purple instead of brown. I read some really great reviews on this rod, so I figured for 99$ it would be a great beginner rod.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say, a smaller grip as my JWF has a thinner grip. I am not sure a smaller one is needed however, but I have long fingers.
I just hope the rod is nice because a bad choice can also turn her off of Fly Fishing. A friend of mine gave his wife a Pflueger...man I would have smacked him in the head for that one, what the heck was he thinking...LOL

The fact this rod is built for a woman so to speak, it could be a good thing. Let us know.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I was going to say, a smaller grip as my JWF has a thinner grip. I am not sure a smaller one is needed however, but I have long fingers.
I just hope the rod is nice because a bad choice can also turn her off of Fly Fishing. A friend of mine gave his wife a Pflueger...man I would have smacked him in the head for that one, what the heck was he thinking...LOL

The fact this rod is built for a woman so to speak, it could be a good thing. Let us know.
if he also fishes with a pflueger and decided to give his wife a pflueger, then i suppose that's fine.

if my wife were to ever start fly fishing with me, she'd want the EXACT outfit as mine so we would "MATCH"......