The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite Fly Fishing Websites

I'm very new to the fly fishing scene. Which websites/blogs is your go to site for anything related to fly fishing (other than this website, of course)?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:02 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite Fly Fishing Websites

Two that have great articles and info are the Orvis blog, which as great content and videos as well as their weekly fishing report and the podcast, and Midcurrent for great articles.

For info on gear and reviews, check out this Review blogspot.

For beginning stuff check out this one.

If you're into fly tying or rod building there are some more... I'm sure others will recommend some great ones too.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Quimby!

I'll tip the hat first to this website. The wealth of knowledge here astounds me...very frequently!

+1 for Midcurrent Great website.

As for blogs maybe you could help us out and let us know where you're from and perhaps what your intended species is. Some of the blogs are regionally specific and also species specific, thus the tactics used can differ slightly to greatly.

Non forum or blog related...a great way to get involved and informed with fly fishing is to establish a relationship with your local fly shop. They will lessons, provide you with conditions, the right flies and setups to use, how to's, etc. Many of them offer tying classes which is an entirely different topic but will keep you in the know of what to use, how to tie and when to use them. My local shop runs these at a cost, but also offers free presentations by tyers, guides, etc.

One thing that may help you out is the animated knots on the Orvis page. Fishing Knots: Animated Fly Fishing Knot Tying -- Orvis

There are also regional reports that you can browse which might help you locate a fly shop in your area...assuming that's an option.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Quimby & Welcome to the forum,

I realize that being a forum, our site is not condensed as are private blog or information web sites. With that in mind I will take a stretch and say that this forum holds an enormous quantity of information that can be found with some practice at searching through the various sub forums. By utilizing this site you will find every sort of question and those questions are often answered by many voices. Some things have but one answer that will make sense while others are a good lightening rods for a gathering of opinions.

Before opening a new tab and going wandering all over the net take some time and explore our site; get familiar with the menu bar that is right on top of this thread and take a look through the 'Forums' page. You will find that we have a sub forum for darn near everything and a good number of blog writers as well. You can keep your own blog here if you wish also. Visiting the sub forums is a good way to narrow down a search of topics that may be of interest to you. The biggest advantage to becoming a regular poster and active member here is that we have so many members who are part of what I call 'the silent majority'. These are people who, while they may not be world famous within the fly fishing industry they are in fact experts. Because of the one on one nature of exchanges that can take place here you will have the opportunity to speak directly to people who have been busy doing exactly what you want to learn for many years.

You might want to consider going back and editing your member information to include the region where you live so it will show on your posts. This will get you replies from members who live and fish near you. many of our people are meeting one another and for a new fly fisher nothing beats knowing someone who has been at it a while.

I hope you become a regular here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Welcome to the forum Quimby!

I'll tip the hat first to this website. The wealth of knowledge here astounds me...very frequently!

+1 for Midcurrent Great website.

As for blogs maybe you could help us out and let us know where you're from and perhaps what your intended species is. Some of the blogs are regionally specific and also species specific, thus the tactics used can differ slightly to greatly.

Non forum or blog related...a great way to get involved and informed with fly fishing is to establish a relationship with your local fly shop. They will lessons, provide you with conditions, the right flies and setups to use, how to's, etc. Many of them offer tying classes which is an entirely different topic but will keep you in the know of what to use, how to tie and when to use them. My local shop runs these at a cost, but also offers free presentations by tyers, guides, etc.

One thing that may help you out is the animated knots on the Orvis page. Fishing Knots: Animated Fly Fishing Knot Tying -- Orvis

There are also regional reports that you can browse which might help you locate a fly shop in your area...assuming that's an option.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Good point. I'll be doing most of my fishing in the Bishop/Mammoth area.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Quimby & Welcome to the forum,

I realize that being a forum, our site is not condensed as are private blog or information web sites. With that in mind I will take a stretch and say that this forum holds an enormous quantity of information that can be found with some practice at searching through the various sub forums. By utilizing this site you will find every sort of question and those questions are often answered by many voices. Some things have but one answer that will make sense while others are a good lightening rods for a gathering of opinions.

Before opening a new tab and going wandering all over the net take some time and explore our site; get familiar with the menu bar that is right on top of this thread and take a look through the 'Forums' page. You will find that we have a sub forum for darn near everything and a good number of blog writers as well. You can keep your own blog here if you wish also. Visiting the sub forums is a good way to narrow down a search of topics that may be of interest to you. The biggest advantage to becoming a regular poster and active member here is that we have so many members who are part of what I call 'the silent majority'. These are people who, while they may not be world famous within the fly fishing industry they are in fact experts. Because of the one on one nature of exchanges that can take place here you will have the opportunity to speak directly to people who have been busy doing exactly what you want to learn for many years.

You might want to consider going back and editing your member information to include the region where you live so it will show on your posts. This will get you replies from members who live and fish near you. many of our people are meeting one another and for a new fly fisher nothing beats knowing someone who has been at it a while.

I hope you become a regular here,

Ard
I'm sorry if I made it seem like I'm trying to get other sites promoted here. Thanks for the insight/help on getting me started here.

I too hope to become a regular here.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it. I don't think there is competition between the sites. Other great sites we might visit don't detract from the great resources here.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.... it all depends on your areas of interest.
I'll 3rd the motion for Midcurrent and daily I'll visit moldychum for news and humor. One site that I find to be an excellent reference is Animated Knots by Grog™
Other than that I find that the sites I visit most are of a specialized nature. Saltwater fly fishing forums, clubs, and author websites. The vintage tackle sites of authorities, dealers and forums. And places that I like to, or would like to fish in the future are the websites of the majority in my bookmarks
Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Ard said it best. I have found more info here and have made some great friends that will go out of there way to help you.
Again just search any question on the web as you know will give one days of reading.
Hope you hang around and welcome to the family.
Seajay
Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

You'll also find a ton of similar info from this thread we had a few months ago

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimby View Post
Good point. I'll be doing most of my fishing in the Bishop/Mammoth area.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

I'm sorry if I made it seem like I'm trying to get other sites promoted here. Thanks for the insight/help on getting me started here.

I too hope to become a regular here.
Not to worry about that, I was just giving you the 'this is the greatest' speech

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;